Stephanie's Reviews > Deadly Cool

Deadly Cool by Gemma Halliday

4.5 stars.

Humor. Wonderful, wonderful humor.

Basically, Hartley reminded me of Sophie from Hex Hall--which is a good thing, because I really, really loved Sophie. Snarkiness is a very nice trait to have in protagonists.I also liked how Hartley didn't feel the need to describe how hot Chase was every time she met him. Let's take a lesson from her, okay? One time's enough, people. Get on with the story.

Oh, and the story. Hmm...for a mystery that involves two murders, the book is surprisingly light-hearted. Until the confrontation scene, which, in my opinion, was written in an appropriately tense manner. And the culprit. The means, motives, and opportunities actually made sense! Go logic.In a nutshell: humorous, bumbling investigation with a surprising discovery that makes sense if you piece everything together. Yeah, that's pretty much it.

But I guess the one thing that kept me from making it five stars was the way Hartley had this (A) and (B) system going on. Repetition is a pet peeve of mine, but I'm probably the only person who would care so much about the above problem. If you don't think you're going to care (you probably won't), then read it. Heck, even if you do think it would bother you, read it anyways. There's a reason I gave it four and a half stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadly Cool.

Quotes Stephanie Liked

Gemma Halliday
“I'll go," he said.
"And that's safer because?"
"I'm a guy."
"Right, and having a pair of dingle balls makes you invincible how?”
Gemma Halliday, Deadly Cool

Gemma Halliday
“We actually wanted to ask you a few questions. About the interview you did this morning."
At the mention of her KTVU debut, Caitlyn softened a little. "You saw that?"
I nodded.
"How did I look on camera?"
Her grief was touching.”