Marie's Reviews > Jailbird

Jailbird by Kurt Vonnegut

Jun 22, 09

bookshelves: fiction
Read in June, 2009

I didn't know what to expect when I picked this out of the bargain bin at my college book store, although it is not one of Vonnegut's more famous works I was pleasantly suprised. The politics and simple, yet randomly insightful, style of writing aside, what I really loved about this book was the side stories written under the psedonym "Kilgore Trout" which was one of his prison mates in the white collar prison. Two specifically caught my attention as brilliant, especially as they were written in the 1970s. #1 story of the inhabitants of Vicuna having to leave their planet becasue they used up its future...apparently they had discovered away to use future time to make plastic toys, fetilizer, food, fuel, etc... and they found they used all their time up, until there was no future left. Another side story displayed a critique on capitialism ( I love how he uses capitialism and communism as two juxtaposing yet intertwining themes in this book) by discussing a story where there are auditors outside of St Peter's Gate to get into heaven. Before you get in they sit down with you and tell you about all the opportunities you had to get rich while you were on Earth, that way you could no longer blame God if you were poor or "lacking". However the main character points out that it would be impossible for all of these people to make use of these opportunities because not everyone could be rich- we would over value our currency at the price of how natural resources to the point that the money would become obsolete, and furthermore no one would be around to do menial tasks..... brilliant!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jailbird.

message 1: by Barb (new)

Barb Haven't read any Vonnegut in decades! Happily, I was around for the originals. I'll have to get back into him. Thanks.

Marie Yea...this was a really fun, quick read...perfect for relaxing from school reading all year long :)

message 3: by Barb (new)

Barb No kidding, yeah. It's amazing that all the reading from school didn't turn us off to reading completely. I now have a Kindle, and I just LOVE it. Books are less expensive, they have a LOT of books available for the Kindle, and since I'm a "possession minimalist" it really suits me. I'll bet lots of Vonnegut is available for Kindle. Haven't checked yet. I like all his stuff that I have read so far. Also Tom Robbins. If you enjoyed Vonnegut you would probably like him, too. Old hippie stuff... ahhh, my people! lol

Marie Barb wrote: "No kidding, yeah. It's amazing that all the reading from school didn't turn us off to reading completely. I now have a Kindle, and I just LOVE it. Books are less expensive, they have a LOT of books..."

O yea...I liked Still Life with Woodpecker..it was so different and light, but still insightful. Also I liked that is was set in Lahaina..
Wish I was a possession minimalist when it came to books, but I am a little obsessed when it comes to my library...kinda a problem

Brady Dale Oh man, that whole thing about St. Peter forcing you to admit you had a chance to be rich is one of those images I have never, ever forgotten, as well. Wow.