Dawn's Reviews > Buried in a Book

Buried in a Book by Lucy Arlington

Mar 09, 12

bookshelves: cozy-mystery
Read in March, 2012

I had to read this cozy, which is set in a small publishing company in North Carolina. The premise is rather far-fetched... The main character, 45-year-old Lila Wilkins, has just lost her job at a newspaper. She sees an ad for an intern (which is a paid position) at a publishing company. So she calls about the job, talks to the president for 5 minutes, and gets the job in the same conversation. Despite her experience in journalism, I find it highly unlikely that someone who is middle-aged with no experience in publishing could land a job like this after 5 min on the phone, with the president of the company. Highly unlikely.

The other thing that bothered me is that as soon as she loses her job, Lila's first concern is that she will be unable to fully pay for her son's college tuition. Her son lives at home, doesn't work, doesn't clean, and leaves dirty dishes and laundry all over the house. My first concern would've been being able to pay my mortgage. I guess there's a reason why they call it the "entitlement generation."

But once I got past these issues, I became quite engrossed in the book. My dream job would be to work in a publishing agency, reading query letters for novels, and that's exactly what Lila does. There's a predictable cast of characters and turns of events, but for the most part, I thought this was far and away a much better written cozy than I am used to reading.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Buried in a Book.