Katie Reus's Reviews > Sheltered

Sheltered by Charlotte Stein

Mar 10, 12

Read in March, 2012

I stayed up late to finish this last night because I couldn’t put it down. Charlotte Stein captured Evie’s innocence when it came to the opposite sex, even though she was no stranger to violence in her own household (abusive father). There was something so real and almost raw about this story that I'm finding it difficult to completely put into words why I enjoyed it so much.

Evie, the heroine, has led a sheltered life and has been forced to attend the college of her father’s choosing, wear the clothing her father says, etc. She’s nineteen but it’s explained early why she doesn’t leave (and it’s a very good reason which shows what a good heart she has). When that reason for staying is no longer an issue, however, she is very brave. I don’t want to say more than that because I don’t want to give away spoilers. She meets Van after sort of spying on him in the beginning of the story and this tentative relationship forms. There are quite a few miscommunications between Evie and Van but the awkwardness and flirting are incredibly sweet and fit both their characters. Van is a sexy artist in college with tattoos and piercings he uses as an armor and despite Evie having all these assumptions that he’s this consummate ladies’ man, he’s so totally not. And when he commits to her, he full on commits. He is such a sexy, quiet type of hero and I found that refreshing. This story took my breath away and even though it’s completely from Evie’s point of view, I never felt like I didn’t know what was going on in Van’s head. Ms. Stein has such a unique voice and this will definitely be one of my re-reads.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sheltered.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kaylea Cross Oh, this was SO. GOOD. Darn you, Katie, for making me read this book. Now I'm hooked and have to read all her other books, which means I'll get even less writing done. *g*

Katie Reus Her style of writing is addicting. I'm so glad you enjoyed this story!