Jerry's Reviews > Story Engineering

Mar 15, 12

bookshelves: writing
Recommended for: writers
Read from March 09 to 15, 2012

This was an all-around great book on writing. The main drive behind this book is that that are six core competencies to writing. To succeed at writing you have to nail each competency. Fail in any one and your story will suffer, if not die. He goes about showing you how to ensure you get these competencies right. He draws a line between "pantsers" (fly by the seat of your pants) and planners. He makes a strong case for planning.

None of the concepts introduced are earth-shattering; you've seen all of them before. But Brook's delivery of the material truly clicked for me. As I completed chapters, I was immediately able to see these concepts at work in film and writing. Some of the complaints that I've read about this book is repetitiveness. I believe that was intentional, to hammer home the points being made. Another issue raised was Brook's penchant for analogy. Fortunately for me, I share the same penchant. If you don't, get ready for a rough ride.

I consider this probably one of the best books on writing I've ever read. The true test will come with time, if I can put what I learned into practice. I highly recommend this for anyone looking to improve their story telling skills.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Story Engineering.

03/09/2012
03/11/2012
42.0% "Good stuff so far, hoping the author will show how to pull all this together."
show 2 hidden updates…