Crystal (Kris)'s Reviews > Destined

Destined by Aprilynne Pike

Apr 02, 12

bookshelves: review-copy, paranormal, favorites, books-reviewed
Read from March 07 to 09, 2012

Laurel, Tamani, and David together tell the story of how they were destined to meet, fight together, and open Avalon to change. I miss the focus on Laurel, but I enjoyed seeing how the battles and losses worked changes on the three characters. Tamani and Laurel face challenges in their relationship together even as they need each other more than ever. There are bittersweet moments and sweet, passionate kisses.

All three characters will fight their own battles. Laurel must learn how to utilize her gifts as a Fall faerie, Tamani must face Yuki and his fears that he will never be good enough for Laurel, and David will play a direct role in the fight for the first time. I was shocked to learn that, in many ways, the story has been about David and how a human reacts to magic. Looking at the series as a whole, however, it makes sense, and Destined really plays on the idea. Aprilynne reveals more about King Arthur and how the legends of Camelot relate to the faeries and Avalon, and David has to live up to legend when he's given the opportunity to play a hero's role.

Destined brings the Wings series to a stunning turn of events. There are many deaths and sacrifices. Laurel and her friends learn more about themselves and each other, as they fight to stop a bitter faerie from realizing her plans. I am sad to see the story reach its conclusion, but Aprilynne Pike wraps up the story beautifully with a letter that shows what wielding great power will do to the human mind.

Review at Imaginary Reads

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Destined.