Izlinda's Reviews > Wildwood Dancing

Aug 06, 08

bookshelves: fantasy, fantasy-fairy-tales-mythology, young-adult
Recommended to Izlinda by: Bridgett Mahoney
Read in August, 2008

I saw this book on a friend's to-read list here on Goodreads and when I came upon it in a bookstore, I casually picked it up. I was surprised and happy to see a glossary of Romanian names and terms at the beginning of the book. I used to live in Romania and it made me a little homesick. I started reading it in the bookstore and decided I couldn't let it go.

An interesting mix of "The Twelve Dancing Princesses" (down to five) and "The Frog Prince" and probably elements of other tales I'm not familiar with, this book is quite adult in theme. Dealing with love, death, familial love and duties, choices, it makes me wish I had read it when I was younger as I think it taught a lot about people's choices and how everything is not laid out in the open, and what seems good is really bad, and what seems bad is really good, all in the long run. An excellent growing-up tale, without too much of a clich'e ending.

And the cover by Kinuko Y. Craft is absolutely mesmerizing and amazing. While it may look busy and overwhelming at first, there are details to be noticed with each new look.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wildwood Dancing.

Quotes Izlinda Liked

Juliet Marillier
So you do believe in... true love? she whispered.
I took a deep breath, I think I have to, I said, blinking back tears. Without it, we're all going nowhere.
Juliet Marillier, Wildwood Dancing

Bridgett I'll have to move it to "highest" on my list from "medium.":-)

Izlinda :D Yay! It's awesome. I would bring it back to the US and mail it to you, except my sister here wants to read it... :(

Bridgett That's okay:)