Alison's Reviews > Pinocchio

Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi

Mar 10, 12

Read from March 06 to 07, 2012

Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi was a must read for me. Pinocchio was one of my favourite Disney cartoons and to be perfectly honest I expected the Disney version with 5 or 6 more scenes and maybe a little more detail.

Right from the beginning the story is different. Gepetto is not a friendly guy, he is full of anger and violent. Pinocchio is mischievous from the very beginning as for the wise cricket (named “Jiminy” in the Disney version) well I won’t spoil that little horror story for you but suffice to say things are different.

Pinocchio still gets into plenty of trouble but here in the book – for the most part, he has to get himself out of it. Sometimes the Turquoise Fairy helps, but she is just a girl with magic and her heart is easily broken.

It’s very much a journey of self discovery for Pinocchio – a sort of coming of age story which is very much written as fables – which one can easily imagine have been passed down through the generations.

Despite the book being quite dark in some scenes, Pinocchio himself still remains loveable for his regretful nature, striving to be good and the love he has for “his fairy” and his father. Going far, far out of his way to find his lost father. You really are willing him to succeed and feel the disappointment when he gets himself into trouble.

I really enjoyed reading this book and it’s now firmly amongst my favourite books. Some of the cover art (bar Disney) is rather disturbing but don’t let that put you off buying or reading the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pinocchio.

03/09/2012 page 26