Boz4pm's Reviews > Wuthering Heights

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë

Jul 10, 07

I tried it once and could not get through the dire, slow beginning of it. But when I tried once more years later... oh, wow. Seriously. The Cathy/Heathcliff relationship is astonshingly powerful. Doubly so when you consider the time it was written. If you want to know what pure, raw passion looks like written on the page (without any steaminess or explicit rudeness whatsoever), then this book is it. It's fantastic. Well worth sticking through that rather tedious, slow first few chapters for.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wuthering Heights.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I read this book around the age of eleven or twelve at the prompting of my parents. My father says that Heathcliff is his favorite character in all of literature. As a young girl, I found the book enjoyable, yet very dark; I can appreciate a touch of darkness, but I remember this book being very depressing. Let's just say I prefer her sister's book, Jane Eyre.

message 2: by Dolly (new)

Dolly I read this book when I was thirteen or so and loathed it. All that going on and on about the moor! Bah! However, I see from your review that a little maturity is required in reading this one. I'll have to try it again, now I'm old-, er, *mature*.

Boz4pm Sadie said: "Let's just say I prefer her sister's book, Jane Eyre. "

See, I've never managed to really enjoy Jane Eyre the two or three times I've read it. It has been a long while since I last read it, though, so perhaps I need to try again - sometimes coming back to a book after some years can change your reading of it and your acceptance/enjoyment of it. :)

message 4: by Boz4pm (last edited Jul 11, 2007 11:58AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Boz4pm spacellama said: "I read this book when I was thirteen or so and loathed it. All that going on and on about the moor! Bah! However, I see from your review that a little maturity is required in reading this one. I'll have to try it again, now I'm old-, er, *mature*."

Yups, I think I was about 12 or so the first time I tried it, and I tried again when I was a mid-late teen. It was only when I was at uni and tried once more that I had the patience to stick with it and really 'got' the later parts and the passion.

I'd be interested to see what you think of it if you try it again. :D