Cassidy's Reviews > Runner

Runner by Carl Deuker

F_50x66
Mar 09, 12

Read in February, 2012

Runner is a book about a young boy named Chance Taylor. Chance has not run into very much luck, and neither has his father. He lives his life just barely making it by and running into some trouble or decisions along the way. This book was very captivating and caught my attention. I think we can all run into trouble and need some help and Chance has shown me that it can be possible to get yourself out of a hole, but you can also dig yourself deeper into one.
Chance Taylor is just a normal kid who goes to school, he has a job, and he goes through the same normal struggles any teenager would. Or so it seems. His father and he live on a little boat in a marina and his father drinks quite frequently adding to any problem a teenager just doesn’t need to deal with. Life isn’t going well for the two, but Chance relieves his stress by running. The two are barely making it when Chance’s father loses his job and causes Chance to make some life changing decisions. About running.
I read along many characters in this book, but there were some most important ones. Chance Taylor of course, the one whom we are finding out about his tough decisions. Jack Taylor is Chance’s dad, and he loses his job and pulls himself into trouble with alcohol and money. “The Fat Man,” as he is called in the book, is one man who just may change Chance’s life, but cause him a great deal of trouble. One character you don’t really think about much is Melissa Watts. She doesn’t really get talked about much, but she is in important character along with her dad in the book.
The author Carl Deuker has a very unique way of writing. I like it. He writes everything very short, but somewhat to the point yet with a mystifying side. Every chapter has about two to five pages, and is very easy to understand. There is something about it though that is very different.
This book really caught my attention and I enjoyed it very much. A person might say I enjoyed it because it is easy to read, which may be true, but it was very interesting and there was something going on the whole time. Books like Runner I love to read because it is not boring and you know that every time you open the book and read, there will always be something new going on.
All in all, this book has taught me a lot. Not only what you might think about not doing illegal things, but that everyone hits a rough patch in life. We need to fight through these hard times and not just sit and pout in the corner. This book reminds me to dance in the rain instead of waiting for the thunderstorm pass. Runner was a book a will never forgot about that touched my heart.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Runner.