Carol's Reviews > Before You Know Kindness

Before You Know Kindness by Chris Bohjalian

Mar 09, 2012

Read from March 09 to 18, 2012

I read this book because my friend Heidi recommended it. The last books she recommended to me were The Hunger Games series so I was fairly sure I would enjoy reading this. Plus I really liked the book Midwives by the same author.
Yes, I did like the book and enjoyed reading it. I'm not sure I liked the way the entire plot was disclosed in the prologue of the book but the development of the story was enjoyable reading. This was a story of family and relationship which is always a winner for me. Throw in strict over the top veganism,(FERAL was depicted as a cutthroat group and I do like animals), gun control, the mandatory New York mention of 911, and class awareness and you have a good read.
Spencer's convalescence was a nightmare even in someone as motivated as he. The dreams about the crabs partially explained his veganism but not his obsessions to the detriment of his family with the rights of animals. I was glad to see the changes that occurred in him by the end of the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Before You Know Kindness.

message 1: by Diana (new)

Diana It sounds dark.

message 2: by Carol (last edited Mar 22, 2012 03:52PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Carol Diana wrote: "It sounds dark."

not so much so, I liked reading it

message 3: by Loring (new)

Loring Wirbel Always beware obsessive people on a mission. But it sounds like the description of FERAL may have been a bit exaggerated.