Susan's Reviews > Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

Jul 15, 12

bookshelves: favorites
Read from July 13 to 15, 2012

I don't usually read non-fiction, but I was impressed by how many people gave this book four or more stars, so I downloaded it to my kindle.I have to admit, even though my own father fought in World War 11, I was pretty ignorant about what went on then.
As I was reading the story of Louie's amazing and often unimaginable experiences, I couldn't help but think that there were probably countless men in similar situations. I wish I would have known about Louie sooner. I would have been riveted when he held the torch at the Olympics.
I learned so much from this book. I never realized how many men were killed just training on the B-29 planes. I never imagined how horrific POW camps could be. I wonder what was in Louie that made him such a survivor. Possibly, it was the same mental discipline that it took to be a tremendous athlete. From now on, I am certainly going to feel differently when I watch the veterans go by at a parade. I am certainly going to view the MIA/POW flags with a new grateful heart.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unbroken.