Laura's Reviews > Requiem

Requiem by Lauren Oliver

Dec 03, 13

bookshelves: dystopian, hated-it, horrible, not-worth-my-time, train-wreck
Read in March, 2013

** spoiler alert ** Due to unfortunate circumstances, I have dropped the rating on this book from 5 stars to a mere 2.

I’m sorry. I just pulled the rug out from under your feet, didn’t I?

Now there are many wonderful, amazing things about this book that I could talk about, however…you probably wouldn’t be reading this if you were in it for the good stuff. You would be reading the book instead. So I’m going to skip all of the fluffy, do-good particles that this book is made of, and delve deeper into the reason for my rating change.

I anticipated Requiem ever since the cliffhanger at the end of Pandemonium (which I loved, by the way) and literally counted down the days to its release (I even wrote it on my calendar. And who uses calendars anymore, amirite?)

Pandemonium was a page turner. It had everything that I’d ever wanted in a book – unique writing that seemed almost vivid and scarily real, lots of character development, and the ending just – UHHH. The ending picked you up and slammed you down right as we figure out that Alex is alive. Just before it kicks the door closed: sorry! You have to wait until the next book comes out to see what happened afterwards!.

And so I waited. Patiently, twiddling my thumbs, watching anime and crying about it, you know – the stuff I do. I re-read Delirium and Pandemonium over again, just to get myself ready for what was sure to be the most AH-MAZ-ING CONCLUSION TO ANY SERIES EVER.

ANNNNDDDDDD IT STARTS OFF…with nothing.

Nothin’.

Oh sure, Pandemonium can start off right where Delirium ended, but this book can’t do the same, especially when I sensed an ass-whoopin’ coming? Naw, that’s just cheap. Let us fast forward and not even care/giveashit about Lena’s first encounter with Alex, after everything that had happened between them.

But okay, yeah…chilled…I chilled down. I ignored that glaringly obvious thing that I didn’t like, and I continued.

A quarter way through: oh boy, can’t wait for some action to happen. Surely Hana’s going to do something awesome and redeem herself, or Lena’s going to kick some ass…

Half way through: Okay, the action can start any time now…uh…please? I already know who Lena’s going to end up with, but just make it work, k?

Three quarters: Umm…something? Anything? Please? It feels like this book hasn’t even started yet. Can I already be this far in?

And so, the first three quarters of this book was filled with the kind of blah-blah-blah that belongs in soap operas, with a couple raids thrown here and there. Though, as glued as I was to the amazing/flawless writing, I found myself…disappointed. Nothing major occurs, like what you’d expect in the final book. Hana’s point of view was interesting at times, but definitely not what I imagined her to sound like. Sure, she made a few character developments, but overall, Hana was another bland cured that brought almost nothing to the story line, besides a slightly creepy edge.

At three quarters in, I couldn’t help but think…

”Is this it? It’s almost the end. Where are the explanations? Where are the revelations? It feels…empty, somehow, like a bunch of pages were ripped out. Did I buy a faulty copy? AND NOT WIN AN ARC? (I’m still frustrated about that, to be honest.)

At that point, I felt kind of ripped off. The scene with Lena and her mother made me want to tear my hair out – we were never given any explanation, any stories or view from “Bee”. What was it like in the Crypts? How had she managed to climb to the top of the ranks? In such an emotion-filled book, there was no feelings between Lena and her mother. It almost pained me to read their confrontations. Lifeless . Like the time I fell asleep on the library floor at my school after an all-nighter at a relay-for-life. (I was practically a zombie, besides being served ice cream at 3:30 a.m. and someone blasting dubstep in a vain attempt for all of us to stay awake)

But sure, I could ignore that huge punch in the face. But what I couldn’t handle – and what changed my view on this entire book – was the ending.

That FUCKING ending.

I’m sorry. I usually don’t swear in reviews, (view spoiler)but that needed to be said. How many times have you encountered something so mind-numbingly painful that you just had to let a few choice words slip out?

And let me tell you – there is nothing more frustrating than Requiem, nay, this whole series’ ending.

Remember when we all read Breaking Dawn when we were all in that cray-cray Twilight phase? Remember how it just ended? It didn’t really have any closure. There was no fight – the fight that everyone was preparing for, that everyone was worried about, the fight that I was completely sure was about to happen – and then everyone just talks. They talk it out for fucks sake. And then it ends. Just like that. It’s like the end of Mockingjay, but worse.

That’s basically what happens in the end of Requiem. The first two books and the first ¾ of the third hype you up towards a fantastic ending that’s sure to blow your mind – or at least resolve the conflict between main characters.

NOPE.

It ends. You have no idea what happens to ANYONE. It actually stops halfway through the showdown – they had just barely taken the town, and then the pages run out.

“I’VE BEEN CHEAPED! RIPPED! BAMBOOZLED!”

But what angers me the most is the Lena/Alex/Julian triangle. It’s never resolved. It just isn’t. Lena and Alex admit their love for each other, even though Lena has been leading Julian on for this entire time and Lena never talks to Julian at the end. They tear down a wall. You never find out what happens to Hana. You don’t know if any other important characters die – what happened to Tack? Or Hunter and Bram? What about Hana’s almost-husband? Does he actually die? What about Coral? What about Lena’s mother? Her aunt? Jenny? Is Lena ever going to tell Julian that her and Alex are getting back together? What happens after they tear down the wall to the Wilds? Will they take the other towns too? There is no closure.

How hard would it have been to shove in a little scene in the end, resolving Lena/Alex/Julian, and actually telling what happens afterwards? How hard would it have been to ACTUALLY WRITE AN ENDING?

“I’VE BEEN LEFT HANGING OFF A CLIFF! WHERE’S THE ROPE? A STICK? ANYTHING, PLEASE!”

Poor Julian. Selfish Lena led him on, and then once Alex admits his love, she’ll just throw him to the side like he’s nothing. But wait – even Lena says she doesn’t know what’s going to happen next. Will she choose Alex, or Julian?

“ISN’T THIS WHY WE READ THIS BOOK IN THE FIRST PLACE?”

Here’s what I think happened – Mrs. Oliver was so concerned about teaching the reader a lesson that she forgot to actually have this book make sense. Her lesson - supposed lesson - is that you’re not supposed to know what happens next.

photo poker-face2_zpscd1bb684.jpg

Taking this in a lesson view, as in – “you’re not supposed to know what comes next in love - it’s a valid point. Hearty, even. But taking this from a “I-just-stuck-with-this-series-because-I-though-it-was-awesome-and-was-sorely-dissapointed-when-I-realized-that-the-author-didn’t-even-give-us-an-ending” view, it’s a bit of a dick move. The obvious strain to get this message through overshadowed the actual need to take care of her characters and portray them as something other than the means to get to an actual point (which, in my opinion, never actually came to light).

If you want something deep and semi-emotional, then this ending should suit to your needs. But the more I thought about it, and since I felt cheated, I refused to this of this as anything other than a sham.

So, as much as I loved the first two books, Requiem was a mistake. A very bad mistake, seeing as the overall rating for this book dropped from a 4.30 before it was released to almost a 3.87 after it came out.

That just goes to show that (hopefully) others feel the same way.

AND NO –

THIS IS NO AN EXCUSE TO WRITE MORE BOOKS and/or MAKE A SPIN-OFF.

PlEaSe DoN’t.

THIS SERIES HAS BEEN FUCKED UP ENOUGH BY THIS, THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

(Final rating – 2.5. I’m feeling very generous this afternoon. I have been emotionally ruined. Thank you.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Requiem.

03/10/2013 page 22
5.0% "I like to read in bed. Usually I have this small little light I use in the dark, when my night-vision goggles equipt with laser beams are out of batteries.

I threw this book down (in the dark) and switched on my light. I then proceeded to scare the shit out of myself, because when I turned on the light, all I could see was Lena's eyes peeking out from under my covers.

I think I'm going to have nightmares."
03/13/2013 page 270
69.0% "Leave it to Bram to burst in looking like a serial killer and upset errbody ;)

Just kidding. This random-yet-hilarious scene does not even COMPARE to the rest of the book.

Me likey :D"

message 1: by Jie Yu (new)

Jie Yu I thought that Requiem meant something related to death. I'm not sure myself exactly.

Laura Jie Yu wrote: "I thought that Requiem meant something related to death. I'm not sure myself exactly."

There are different definitions for the term (and one of them is relating to death - a Requiem mass, celebrates the erpose of the souls of the dead). But just looking at the last books, its most likely that definition...

Although, it could be the one concerning death, just based on the fact that something big might happen in the final book O.O

message 3: by Jie Yu (new)

Jie Yu Laura wrote: "There are different definitions for the term (and one of them is relating to death - a Requiem..."
Yea. I hope that it's not related to death though.

message 4: by Naomi (new) - added it

Naomi McCord That baby looks very like my cousin's daughter, Jessica 0.0

message 5: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan Park I know right? I want to know also what it's like in a cured person's point of view!! =D and I don't know but I have a feeling here that in Hana's point of view it would be irritating, because, well, she's cured.and loveless =)

Laura Megan wrote: "I know right? I want to know also what it's like in a cured person's point of view!! =D and I don't know but I have a feeling here that in Hana's point of view it would be irritating, because, well..."

Ahhh i bet it would be pretty cool in the beginning - im just hooing that Lauren Oliver can pull it off throughout the rest of the book!

Samira There is another ARC giveaway of Requiem :)

Laura Samira wrote: "There is another ARC giveaway of Requiem :)

Hopefully I'll be lucky this time :D Thank you for posting that - it was unexpected and nice, my favourite kind of surprise at 5:30 in the morning.

Samira No problem! :)

Laura if you read annabel the short story theres the first 2 chapters in there

Abbie @Laura I FEEL YA SISTER ([in]love your DP btw.)

Laura Abbie wrote: "@Laura I FEEL YA SISTER ([in]love your DP btw.)"

I'm in love with my DP too.

No, seriously, I love him.

But all seriousness aside...there is nothing else to say.

Have a nice day!

Shawna I'm with you completely just finished the book and I'm beyond real words on how disappointed and cheated for the time I sat along bearing through the narrative soap opera that is requiem. I felt the ick just like I did reading the host and no author that write two great books should have their series ender be compared to a Stephanie Myers distasteful disaster. I'm Hoping to beg the bookstore to let me return the waste of time.

Laura Shawna wrote: "I'm with you completely just finished the book and I'm beyond real words on how disappointed and cheated for the time I sat along bearing through the narrative soap opera that is requiem. I felt th..."

....would it be too cliche to say "ditto" in this situation? Too bad I received it as a present...so in my case it would be considered...ahem....RUDE to return ;)

Katie At first I was convinced my book was missing pages. The thing is, I'm not unhappy with the ending. BECAUSE THERE WAS NO ENDING.

Laura Katie wrote: "At first I was convinced my book was missing pages. The thing is, I'm not unhappy with the ending. BECAUSE THERE WAS NO ENDING."

Perfect quote right there...I should use that next time I describe this book to my non-goodreads friends.

message 17: by Rose (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rose Definitely !! My reaction while reading was O-O and after the end it was "whaaaaaaat ???? O-o ???" Where s the heart felt end i waited so long forrrr ??? Overall the first two books were amazing but this one ruined the experience ...

Succhan EXACTLY my thoughts. -.-

message 19: by Elyse (new) - added it

Elyse Sooo... is Requiem it? Or is there going to be a 4th book?

Succhan I don't think there will be a 4th one. And honestly, if there is.. I would take it as a pathetic way of the writer to make more money off the series. Cause that is what the next (possible) book would be. Nothing more.

Laura Right now there isn't going to be a fourth book...however if the author is actually aware of how many people were disappointed with the ending, she might want to make a spin-off or a novella.

Which, in my opinion, is the laziest thing she could ever do.

Ta§chima Cullen Oh gosh, this book was a hot piece of mess. I was sooo disappointed!! I couldn't even... It was just not an ending, it was BLAH!

Monica My thoughts exactly! Totally nailed it. What a disappointment.

pdbkwm I hated how whenever Lena thinks she has a chance with Alex, she just treats Julian like he doesn't belong there and doesn't even tell him why she's being such a jerk to him.

Lena and Alex can stay together, they're both horrible people in this novel.

Laura pdbkwm wrote: "I hated how whenever Lena thinks she has a chance with Alex, she just treats Julian like he doesn't belong there and doesn't even tell him why she's being such a jerk to him.

Lena and Alex can sta..."

JUSTICEEEEEEE.

Nellie I totally agree 100%!! The ending just ruined the whole series for me. She gave no closure. I feel like she just got lazy and just stopped writing right there. Was that really the end?! I can't believe it. The whole series just got ruined. No closure. If the show comes out their better be some answers.

Kelsey Mouhot I couldn't possibly agree with you more. The ending is really what ruined it for me, I managed to get past all the 'ok...something big is going to happen soon right?' In hopes for an awesome (or at least descent) major blow out that left in the very least closure. No such luck -_-' it felt as it would have if Shakespeare had ended 'Romeo and Juliet' after Juliet drank the poison. Just such a 'ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME???? HOW LAZY CAN YOU BE???' My copy had a little short story for Alex at the end, which just felt like a slap in the face to see there AT ALL, as well as an unnecessary and down right ridiculous pity-party.

Laura I didn't even read the short story about Alex. At that point, I knew I was finished - I didn't want to any more rhyme or reason to think about Lena, Alex, or anybody else for ANY reason.

And by the way, not to be a little bugger, but Romeo drank the poison, not Juliet. (Juliet, in her hormone, obsession-induced rage and/or sadness, drove a blade into her heart. How tragic.)

And Nellie - my enthusiasm about the show had been rectified. NO LONGER shall I YEARN to see who is playing who. In short - I don't really give a crap. (Unless someone like Robert-Downey Jr or Morgan Freeman show up. Then maybe it'll be worth watching.)

Heather I agree with every single word written in this review. NO CLOSURE! It's going to bug the piss out of me that I have no clue what happens to anyone. Ugh. Wasted time and money.

Bianca I completely agree with you! When writers do this it kills it for me! I changed my rating because of this too!! I hope Oliver sees all this and rights her wrongs by writing something new to give us our ending!

message 31: by Caroline (last edited Apr 24, 2013 05:51PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Caroline Could not agree MORE with this review. We were cheated. I cannot begin to express just how disappointed I was with this final book.

I also cannot help but think that the forth-coming Delirium t.v. show may have had something to do with the open ending and lack of answers all around. Not that that's any excuse; on the contrary, an author's books should stand on their own as complete works, regardless of Hollywood's meddling.

Caroline Elyse wrote: "Sooo... is Requiem it? Or is there going to be a 4th book?"

Oliver said on her Tumblr that Requiem is indeed the final book.

Laura Caroline (Humblebee77) wrote: "Could not agree MORE with this review. We were cheated. I cannot begin to express just how disappointed I was with this final book.

I also cannot help but think that the forth-coming Delirium t.v..."

Exactly. I really hope it isnt true. There's one thing about being confident about your work...and then there's another when you just leave it hanging, because you've already got a t.v deal and whatever is written doesn't matter.

Its all about the money these days, isn't it?

message 34: by Me (new) - rated it 3 stars

Me I am about to read this book. I know what I'm in for, so no great expectations from me anymore....
When I discuss it, I may refer to your rant..lol
I'm sure my reaction may not have as much emotion since I already know it is a let down. I enjoyed your reaction. It was raw and entertaining.

Laura Nica wrote: "I am about to read this book. I know what I'm in for, so no great expectations from me anymore....
When I discuss it, I may refer to your rant..lol
I'm sure my reaction may not have as much emo..."

I wish you luck on your journey....

...............I think you might need it. :)

message 36: by Despair (new)

Despair Speaking And who uses calendars anymore, amirite?

I actually still do.

Totally relateable.

And huh. I was hoping to buy the trilogy in one swoop because I never really did read it properly (I rushed Delirium and can hardly remember anything since I had to give it back) but... maybe I shouldn't.

Laura Despair wrote: "And who uses calendars anymore, amirite?

I actually still do.

Totally relateable...."

Delirium was good. Pandemonium was different, but still decent. Requiem.......not so much.

Personally, I wouldn't waste my time just to be dissapointed.

Kayse I found the no-closure thing to be the point. And good. I loved Alex, even with his assholeyness in this book, but I think Julian is adorable, and I know I would be pissed or furious or heartbroken had it ended with a choice. I am content wiith this. This is the first good, fav book of mine that didn't tear me apart.
Beautiful, really.
However, I want to know what Lena and Alex said to each other when they saw each other.
And I thought Raven was a bitch, but I still miss her.
YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU GOT TILL IT'S GONE.

message 39: by Laura (last edited Apr 27, 2013 08:27PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Laura Kayse wrote: "I found the no-closure thing to be the point. And good. I loved Alex, even with his assholeyness in this book, but I think Julian is adorable, and I know I would be pissed or furious or heartbroken..."

There seemed to be a (very lame)"point" to this kind of ending in one's eyes. However, when based against the rest of the series, and ultimately THE FACT THAT EVERY BOOK SHOULD HAVE AN ENDING, I found whatever point the author was trying to make, very mute.

Maybe if we could have an insight into what Miss. Oliver was thinking when she planned - or didn't plan - this ending, we could all have a better understanding of it. But when taking Requiem into account, in all its blazing glory, I just don't think it stood up compared to the rest of the series.

Like the first two books hit the ground running, and then the last just took a face-plant straight into the unforgiving ground. And then was trampled. By a pack of pink zebras.

But everyone's entitled to their opinion, yeah?

Kelsey Mouhot Lol I meant the faux poison Juliet drank to make it look like she was dead, ya know, just before the end wrapped itself up. And if it had ended at that point: What happened? To Juliet? To Romeo??? It was the best point that I could think (or the worst, depends on how you look at it) for the play to have ended to really equate to where and how pandemonium ended. Absolutely no closure. :(

Kelsey Mouhot S'cusé, I meant requiem. Ugh, I need more sleep lol

Laura Kelsey wrote: "S'cusé, I meant requiem. Ugh, I need more sleep lol"

YES I suppose I would have been a tad angry if Romeo and Juliet stopped there....like...WTF Shakespeare.

Kelsey Mouhot Exactly

message 44: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Your review was hilarious, delirium was ok, I liked Pandemonium, but was really waiting for Alwx to reappear...don't think I'll read Requiem after reading the reviews it's too bad because it had the potential to be great..

message 45: by Erin (new) - rated it 2 stars

Erin yep, this review sums it up! there should be a free ending book for all of us readers that have been slaped in the face. if I had knowen this lack of an ending were going to happen, I would have never wasted my time reading the first 2 filler books!

Laura I loved the whole book and then the ending............... Soooooooooooooooo is that it, I was expecting something way more well better, there were so many loose ends not tied up !!!!!! I found when I shut the book my first thought was "is that it?"

Ashley i agree with you 100%. couldn't have said it better. I am so mad at the unresolved ending!

message 48: by Sarah (new)

Sarah oh dear. I'm reading this and making the kicked puppy face because I went on a rather impromptu kindle spending spree, buying up several series I had heard mentioned here and there on tumblr...and Delirium was the first to completely 'grip' me, ya know? I mean, Shatter Me is kind of lyrical and off the wall, but because of the super weird vibe I was getting from it, I decided to press pause and peek at another purchase. I've been SO absorbed in Delirium, just completely wowed by it...and almost giddy by the thought of Lena and Alex that I just couldn't stand it, I had to Google. I just had to make sure they'd end up together...or at least end up happy. And Google sent me here, to your honest (and somewhat heartbreaking) review...and I'm just sad. So sad, because I'm not even halfway finished with the first book and already I can see and feel the potential, and to know that it's nothing but a let down? Yeah. My happy weekend with an awesome series buzz just fizzled and died. I'll finish it, but I have no doubt that I'll probably end up just as disappointed. Cue the sadface.

Kimberly You said exactly what I was just thinking. I just finished and was so angry that nothing was resolved to many unanswered questions.

Laura Sarah wrote: "oh dear. I'm reading this and making the kicked puppy face because I went on a rather impromptu kindle spending spree, buying up several series I had heard mentioned here and there on tumblr...and ..."

Your pain is my pain. I know exactly how you feel - duped, betrayed, bamboozled. It's a letdown when one of your favourite series takes s sharp turn into dumbass land.

Sometimes following the herd isn't the best thing when it comes to books. If you only read the books everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking. Who knows? You might be able to conform to the ending of Requiem, try to see through it - or at least prepare yourself - and enjoy it. In all honestly, it was a letdown. But Pandemonium wasn't bad.

My advice? Try something new. If you like dystopian romance, then there are a lot of lists here on Goodreads.

Good luck my partner-in-crime (a.k.a my friend)>

« previous 1