Nema Al-Araby's Reviews > I Am the Messenger

I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak

Aug 29, 12

Read from May 09 to June 02, 2012

I realize I have to come here again months after reading Zusak's novels. I Am The Messenger is one of these novels you will find it hard to forget, if not for the style of writing, then for the stroryline and plot.
Ed Kennedy is a cards player and a miserable cab driver, after a bank robbery he starts receiving cards in the mail, and the mission begins. The plot of this novel is humane it makes you want to help everyone around you. You could be the messenger, and you could be the message, at the same time.
Ed's messages on these playing cards is the part that I really wanted to understand. I don't understand cards probably at all. I don't get what the hearts or queen of spades mean (which I suggest you look up while reading, if you're interested). I admired how his whole life was related to each part of it like a big puzzle or a circle that is connected somehow. Everything is well planned.
You'll always find people who need help, we all need help one way or the other. Count from needing a smile drawn in the faces of the people we love and those who make us happy by simply existing.

The ending of this novel might not appeal to you, it's a bit vague and blurry, but I still think it's all about what these kinda novels do to you, the effect of their words not their endings.

Don't let this book pass you by just like any other book, let it make you so eager to change the lives of the people you love, or the people you never even knew. Remember to look for signs everywhere even when people smile, a smile could mean too much misery.

I'll mention some of the quotes I liked,

“It's impeccable how brutal the truth can be at times. You can only admire it. Usually, we walk around constantly believing ourselves. "I'm okay," we say. "I'm alright." But sometimes the truth arrives on you, and you can't get it off. That's when you realize that sometimes it isn't even an answer - it's a question. Even now, I wonder how much of my life is convinced.”

"We sit on the front steps which are half in shadows, half in the sun. As it happens, I sit in the darkness and Tommy sits in the light. Quite symbolic, really.
I'd wanted to stay on that porch with him until the sun shone bright on both of us, but I didn't. I stood and walked down the steps. I'd rather chase the sun than wait for it"

“Believe it or not--it takes a lot of love to hate you like this.”

“I realize that nothing belongs to her anymore and she belongs to everything.”

This is a life-changing book.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am the Messenger.

Quotes Nema Liked

Markus Zusak
“All my friends seem to be smart arses. Don't ask me why. Like many things, it is what it is.”

Markus Zusak
“I think she ate a salad and some soup.
And loneliness.
She ate that, too. ”

Markus Zusak
“Believe it or not--it takes a lot of love to hate you like this.”

05/09/2012 page 14
05/14/2012 page 95
27.0% "And loneliness. She ate that too."
show 9 hidden updates…

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Fien el review ya ostaza? (ha'zeen 3leky zayma enty btzeeny 3laya kol mara :P)

Nema Al-Araby Oh I wrote this one on my blog. I'll write it here tonight insha'allah lol. I just saw this btw =D

message 3: by Ruqaiya (new) - added it

Ruqaiya Said Splendid review Nema! You make me want to go and get this book and read it right away. A life changing book is just what i need right now :D:D

Nema Al-Araby You have to!!!! :)