Wendy's Reviews > I Hunt Killers

I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga

Jun 16, 14

bookshelves: contemporary, what-were-they-thinking, ya-liked, ya-loved, ya-take-it-or-leave-it
Read from April 25 to May 01, 2012

*** some Spoilers, ye be warned. ***

Note: continuing to edit as I remember things. I usually wait to take back library books, but was too hasty this time. :(

After a period of disinterested reading without anything especially good to read, I was really looking forward to getting my hands on this.

It's been compared to Dexter, and I can see that. But don't expect Dexter, either the t.v. show or the books. It's similar that it deals with a serial killer, and a father/son relationship. I really think the similarities end there.

Dexter, the books, has embraced his killer self. He relishes his play time, and the conflict comes only when his hobby is threatened.

Dexter, the t.v. show has also embraced his killing side, but he's also trying to be more human as he puts it. His is an act, of course, but Michael C. Hall brings a sensitivity and empathetic realness to the solemn act of taking the life of another person.

But I digress.

Jazz, on the other hand is not a serial killer (not yet, at least..), but the son of one of the most prolific serial killers. He was groomed by 'Dear Old Dad' (DoD) to one day join him and take over the grim and glorious job of prospecting for death.

The first 3/4 of the book is a cat and mouse game between Jazz, the local police and what would seem to be a copy cat killer, fashioning himself and his hideous crimes like Jazz's father, Billy 'The Artist' Dent.

There is an incredible amount of detail and research within the covers of this book and it not only adds to the believability but also the creepiness. There are cringe-worthy parts, but I've already taken the book back to my library so I can't quote them! Drat. Especially squirmy is the flashback conversations held between DoD and Jazz about the 'right' way to do things, and the pleasure to be had. My suspension of disbelief was having trouble believing that any child could make it through that horror without acting out in any negative way. But other than Jazz's own inner struggle, he seems to have come through unscathed.

You are left to wonder if this is Jazz himself doing the crimes, if it's the new surly acting deputy in town who happened to join the force the same week that the first body showed up, or whether it's any of the other somewhat shady characters hanging around.

I'm sorry to say that the first 2/3 of the book wasn't terribly exciting to me. The only redeeming quality I'll put forth is that I love good inner dialogue. Jazz, who would make an excellent serial killer in his own right, struggles with that knowledge. You feel that he is one angry outburst away from unleashing his own Dexter.

Should he, will he fulfill what his father wanted?

Or, use that knowledge for a better purpose?

Despite the title, you are left to wonder for almost the entirety of the book.

The redeeming of the books happens after Jazz decides to visit Dear Old Dad in prison...after that, hold on because this is where it gets really good.

I look forward to what surely must be a series!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Hunt Killers.

04/26 page 18
04/27 page 61
17.0% "If all the obvious foreshadowing of chapter 4 ends up how the whole thing plays out, I'm going to be sorely disappointed with this book."
12/21 marked as: to-read
06/16 marked as: read
show 5 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Wendy Darling Ooo! Look forward to your review. :)

Wendy lol... I don't think I'm a particularly good reviewer.

It doesn't help that I already returned the book so I couldn't pin point my ideas.