Valentina's Reviews > Sixty Acres and a Bride

Sixty Acres and a Bride by Regina Jennings

4197862
Mar 09, 12

Read in March, 2012

I must say, I a bit of trouble staying interested in this novel. I guess when you mix in a pretty slow developing plot with characters who don’t really stand out, it makes it hard for the reader to keep from getting bored.
The main issue I saw was Rosa, the protagonist. She’s quite dull, much too dull for a main character. She is supposed to be this fresh, young thing with a strong personality, but she doesn’t come off that way. On the contrary, all her internal wavering gets frustrating to read. She doesn’t seem to make any decisions on her own, which makes her too passive a character. Another thing that bothered me was the way that the North American ladies had to teach Rosa how to be a lady. It’s not like Mexico at that time period was full of heathens! It just seems like this was overdone, as if Rosa was about to strip naked in front of everyone if the “ladies” didn’t tell her otherwise.
The plot was slow moving, only speeding up towards the very end, and not much then, either. All in all, this is not one I’d easily recommend. There are other books that are more interesting to pick up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sixty Acres and a Bride.