Marcy's Reviews > Captivating: Unveiling the Mystery of a Woman's Soul

Captivating by John Eldredge

Mar 09, 12

Initially, I was skeptical about the messages I would find in this book. The ladies in my cell group recommended the book to me (along with Fight Like a Girl: The Power of Being a Woman by Lisa Bevere). Eager to delve into the world of Christian self-help literature, I shelved Lisa Bevere's book and tested the waters of Captivating. After the first two chapters, I did an all-out head-first dive into the remainder of the book.

The messages inside Captivating may not apply to all women, but aside from tackling old demons we had no idea resided within us, there are important lessons regarding marriage and motherhood that anyone can benefit from. From young adults to grandmothers, women will find hope, encouragement, positivity, and little bits of humor within the pages of Captivating. Goodreads lists John Eldredge as the sole author, but his wife, Staci, co-wrote the book and some chapters are comprised of her words alone. (This can be a saving factor for those who raise an amused eyebrow at the idea of a man writing a self-help book for women, like me.)

Most of the scriptures quoted come from the NIV, which most Christians are familiar and comfortable with.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Captivating.

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda What did you think of Fight Like a Girl. I'm kind a on the fence with it so far.