Kari Shepherd's Reviews > Where am I Wearing: A Global Tour to the Countries, Factories, and People that Make Our Clothes

Where am I Wearing by Kelsey Timmerman

Mar 09, 12

Read in March, 2011

The author of this book visited 5 factories around the world where some of his clothes had been made and talked to the workers at those factories. As someone who is concerned about the working conditions of the people making my clothes, I picked up this book expecting more of a guide on what companies to avoid buying clothes from, but it is not that kind of book. I enjoyed "traveling" to Honduras, China, Bangladesh, Cambodia, and the United States and hearing the stories - Timmerman's writing style is funny and easy to read and it didn't take me long to finish the book.

The thing that interested me the most was that even though the factory workers are underpaid and have very long work hours, when asked what they thought about people who boycott their employers, they responded that it is still a job for them and helps them provide for their families. Timmerman's point was that boycotting may be more harmful than helpful, which I thought to be interesting. However this point of view still does nothing to alleviate the fact that my money is going to support sweatshops, so I think some kind of middle ground would be best.

Perhaps find fair trade companies to support so that the workers have good jobs at companies that treat them well.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where am I Wearing.