Etta Mcquade's Reviews > That Leviathan, Whom Thou Hast Made

That Leviathan, Whom Thou Hast Made by Eric James Stone

F 50x66
Mar 09, 12

Read in March, 2012

This novella took me completely by surprise. Immediately, I was caught up in the author's description of common Mormon experiences--although related to a futuristic society--such as, his speaking in church since he was eight years old, this branch of six "human members, including me and two missionaries," his calling as branch president in a society near the sun, followed by the introduction of swale members, "beings made of plasma," three gender personages who couldn't meet in the chapel because of their size and their "magnetic force-lines." When Harry Milan, the young branch president, is confronted by a moral problem of swale Neuter Kimball, he has to face the female "god" of the swales, and the analogy between past/current Mormonism and a futuristic Mormonism falls into place. I liked the use of both Biblical and Book of Mormon scriptures that unite the ideas in giving up one's life for the Gospel cause (swale Neuter Kimball), in the effects of love in order to save the life of a swale (President Milan), and finally, in the admittance of the swale God that "almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian." I have not been able to get this thought-provoking story out of my mind.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read That Leviathan, Whom Thou Hast Made.