Lora's Reviews > Dead Is the New Black

Dead Is the New Black by Marlene Perez

Mar 09, 12

bookshelves: girlie, paranormal, ya, mystery, kindle
Recommended to Lora by: Amazon Daily Deals
Recommended for: girls who enjoy the paranormal
Read from March 07 to 09, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Disclaimer: The number of “paranormal” books I read is a little embarrassing. In this novel’s defense, at least it is much more mystery than mere romance. And, it stands as its own story rather than a blatant Twilight knock-off like The Dark Divine. Just remember that I loved Mulder LONG before I loved Edward. I will forever and always adore “anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced.” {☺}

Review: All the while reading this I found myself making comparisons to a Scooby Doo cartoon. The story was simple, told entirely on the surface and even a little hokey. Having said that, it was a fast, enjoyable read. It’s refreshing to find an escape series for young ones that isn’t riddled with the typical media-imposed teenage trash: sex, alcohol/drugs, backbiting, etc.

I bought this book for $1 on the Kindle but will I read the others? Considering my library has them all digitally without long waits—definitely.

Incidentally: This book reads much more like a Middle Grader and I would classify it as such if it weren’t for the slightest amount of swearing and sexual innuendo.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Is the New Black.