Tessa's Reviews > Banewreaker

Banewreaker by Jacqueline Carey

Mar 09, 12

Read in March, 2012

oh my, it has been a long time since I read something so overwhelmingly pretentious.
Other people have mentioned in their reviews that this was a pastiche of the Lord of the Rings, it's not, it's more like the very old fantasy novels, the ones Tolkien had pretty much stamped out. For a reason.
The very first fantasy novel in print was not the lord of the rings, it was "The Well at the World's End" by William (Wallpaper) Morris from 1896. And his prose was like his wallpaper overwrought and heavy, and here Miss Carey has very clearly aped it.
The idea (as most of hers are) is good, but the book itself has that same wonderful medievalism that is so common in those books, the girl stolen from the bower, the damned general, the young king searching for the byrd helen, etc
but those books fell out of favour for a reason, they were old fashioned when they were new. This felt awkward and contrived and I gave up at about five hundred pages in.
I admit as a modern reader I like my prose simple and starkly lovely. I do not need thirty lines of prose describing a woman's hair, I want the writer to get on with it and tell me the story. If I want to read that kind of thing I will find the originals. It's mastubatory and that drives me nuts, this is a book which is proud of it's own cleverness, and wants to stand up with Chrettiene de Troyes and Lord Dunsany but lacks spark and replaces it with a heavy thesaurus.
I really didn't like this book, so why i read another book by the author soon after I do not know, but I did.
I will not be reading the sequel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Banewreaker.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ms.nogood Oh my god. this is exactly how I felt about this book. It is so awful and i had made the mistake of buying it and two of the "Kushiel" books as well. Big mistake.

message 2: by Paul (new) - rated it 1 star

Paul Eteson I actually really enjoyed The Kushiel seies, but this is well described as "heavy and pretentious." Too many "dost thou think" for my liking.