Anastasia's Reviews > Requiem for a Dream

Requiem for a Dream by Hubert Selby Jr.

Mar 09, 12

This book is much different than any book I have read in regards to the layout. When writing this novel about different Americans struggling from addiction and trying to succeed in life, we did not use any format. He just wrote. All the dialogue and text all blended together, he may have had just not used spaces between words. I’m sure the book would have been a lot more interesting if he had written it the way the rest of the world writes, but because he chose to write in this signature style of his, and I wanted to rip the pages up. I could not follow the book- and I tried my best to. I am sure that if I spent a year or so re-reading the book, I would find a lot of significant meaning, but I don’t have the patience for that. If you have the time and patience on your hand, I would recommend this book. However, if you are looking for a simple and fun read do not read this book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Requiem for a Dream.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mikey (new)

Mikey P Agreed! It was one of those "hey, you HAVE to read Requiem" books and I thought it was horrible.

Kristchin I found it extremely easy to read, the lack of proper punctuation had absolutely no affect on me. I suppose certain people have a harder time with it than others. But what you don't seem to understand is the fact that proper grammatical usage has absolutely no implication on the actual story.