Sapphyria 's Reviews > Tempest

Tempest by Julie Cross

Apr 21, 12

bookshelves: reading-romances-challenge
Read from March 12 to April 02, 2012

Jackson is a nineteen-year-old rich kid living it up in Manhattan, attending college, and spending time with his girlfriend, Holly. Well, spending time with Holly when he and his best friend, Adam, aren't testing Jackson's abilities at time travel. After Holly and Jackson are gunned down in her apartment, Jackson panics and jumps back to 2007, changing with him not only the year but his home base, as well. As he struggles to figure out a way to jump back to 2009 to save Holly he discovers things about his father that shock him. He learns about his father's secret life; a life he never wanted for Jackson. What if everything you knew to be real turns out to be untrue? Jackson's past is uncovered one jump at a time until there's nothing left but the truth. But....will he get back to 2009 in time, or at all, to save the one girl he's falling in love with?

Jackson is a decent Leading Man....he is a spoiled rich kid and I wasn't really impressed with the implied number of females he's been with sexually. You definitely do see him grow and mature a bit through the book though. He's able to transitions from being self-centered to actually caring about other events, like the potential destruction of the world. He has depth, although I noticed several other reviews don't agree with that. He's a typical teenager but as the book goes along he realizes that there's more out there than getting any girl he wants, butlers to do his bidding, and an endless credit card. We get to see a more emotional side to Jackson when he jumps back to 2004 and spends a heart wrenching night with his twin sister. And he may be unable to utter those 3 special words to Holly at the beginning but after jumping around and traveling within timelines he understands just how important Holly is and near the end he commits the ultimate sacrifice; one that left me emotional and pretty upset.

Holly, Adam, Jackson's father, the Enemies Of Time (OETs), and the rest of the secondary players were written well for the roles that they play. Many people have written that they were weak, uninteresting, and boring but, while they didn't jump up and exude tons of excitement, each and every one of the characters in this book had a specific role to play and Ms. Cross pulled them off well. Her writing style (as listened to since, you know, this is a review of an audio book), transitioned each sub-plot well.

This book is packed full of revelations, surprises, and twists around every corner, regardless of what year Jackson happens to be in. I will admit that I'm not really that big into time travel. It's not my favorite theme by any means but I didn't mind "Tempest." I wasn't confused by the timeline jumps as Jackson always stated what month, day, and year, he jumped to, whether he knew right away or had to ask someone. It helped that the narrator, Matthew Brown, did an excellent job reading the material. He adjusted his voice quite effectively and I always knew who was talking before he would say the name of the person. He brought out the emotions of each character successfully.

(Audio book provided at no cost by Macmillian in exchange for an honest review).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tempest.