Tess's Reviews > When Necessary Use Words: Changing Lives Through Worship, Justice and Evangelism

When Necessary Use Words by Mike Pilavachi

Feb 18, 09

bookshelves: faith
Read in February, 2009

This book is a little scattered, and at first I had trouble zeroing in on what the point of it was. Sure, these anecdotes from Mr. Pilavachi's personal life are nice, but how are they useful to the rest of us? About halfway through the book, though, he gets down to business. There were a number of topics that really spoke to me. One was his discussion about how to actively serve people we come into contact with. He charges us to not be so busy, and to look up from our agendas and make eye contact with people. If we see someone who obviously needs something or seems to want to talk, we might be able to help that person out somehow. I ignore pretty much everybody I don't know, so this is really challenging for me. Also, he puts a lot of emphasis on serving those around us out of a spirit of love. When you get to know people in need, you genuinely do love them. You don't just look at them as possible numbers for your spreadsheet, converts to add to your resume. We weren't commanded to "have bigger numbers," we were commanded to love our neighbors. So this is all really simple stuff, but things we often overlook, and I think Pilavachi found a way to put these simple ideas that made sense to me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When Necessary Use Words.