S.E.'s Reviews > Chulito

Chulito by Charles Rice-González

Chulito and Carlos grew up in the same New York neighborhood and at one time were the closest of friends. Chulito is forced by the expectations and pressures of friends to leave Carlos behind when rumors begin to spread that Carlos is gay. Where Chulito has decided to follow the path of most young men of his neighborhood--no easy way to live--Carlos has chosen an equally difficult path, living as an openly gay young man in a neighborhood where homosexuality is unacceptable.

Always going against the flow, Carlos is committed to being honest about what he wants in life: an education, a "legit" job as a journalist, equality, and in spite of Chulito's clumsy romantic ways, he wants his old friend to be his man.

Chulito struggles with growing feelings for Carlos and must then decide if those feelings are enough for him to risk his reputation and relationships.

From page one of this book, I was hooked. The writing is wonderfully compelling and natural. I usually find my mind wandering in stories that use a lot of slang, but this was so authentic that not once did I lose focus. I found Chulito charming and I was so caught up in his internal battle that my heart ached with him. The same went for Carlos who goes out on a limb himself when he openly confesses his feelings for Chulito.

I loved this book. I loved the characters. I love this author!! I strongly recommend it!

I'd love to see a sequel for these two characters, as well.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chulito.