Melissa's Reviews > Heft

Heft by Liz Moore

Mar 09, 2012

Read from March 09 to 11, 2012

I absolutely loved this book. Heft is about a depressed, alcohol-addicted mother and her athletic son; a former teacher-turned-overweight recluse; a pregnant young house cleaner; and over-privileged high school students. It's about being so overweight that you don't leave your house for a decade. It's about trying to overcome the parents and the neighborhood and the economic circumstances you were born into. It's about some people giving up on life, and about others who refuse to. Every character in this book is dealing with his or her own struggles, and at times it seems outrageous that they're all interconnected and crossing paths. But just like in real life, every person who crosses our path does so for a reason, and those reasons can sometimes leave lasting impressions on the rest of our lives.

It's been a very long time since I connected with and cared about characters as much as I did for the ones in Heft. Liz Moore has a gift for making these characters come to life. I raced through almost the entire book in a couple days, but I had to put it down with 40 pages left because I didn't want to say goodbye to Arthur and Kel. I thought the ending could have been drawn out a little longer, but I suppose sometimes it's better to let the reader's imagination decide what happens to the characters in the future. I have a feeling I'll be wondering about them for a long time. It was truly a pleasure to read this novel, and I look forward to reading other works by Moore.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heft.

07/28/2016 marked as: read