mark's Reviews > The Jaguar

Mar 09, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: crime, really-bad-books
Read in February, 2012

This is a terrible book and demonstrates what is wrong (troubling) with the literary/publishing industry. It’s not that the author, T. Jefferson Parker, can’t write a coherent sentence (he can), or describe scenes (he can), or describe people (he can) – it’s that there is no reason demonstrated in this book why he should – other than to make money for himself and the Industry, which is not the reason I, and most people, read. I read for several reasons: 1) To be informed – about people, history, geography, animals, industry, etc. 2) To be assuaged of loneliness. 3) To escape 4) To have my curiosity piqued. This book did none of those. The story, the setting, and the characters, are all unbelievable and uninteresting, made even more so by the fact that this is a serial character and genre driven book (contemporary crime fiction with a Southern California based ATF agent as “main” protagonist); and if you aren’t familiar with the previous books – it’s even more stupid. The characters, all of them, lack personality. The plot is deranged. The setting a fabrication. The title is almost unrelated. And the ending is predictable. I hate to be a hater – but I hate everything about this book and what it represents – a waste of time at best, and at worst, theft. T. Jefferson Parker should be ashamed of himself, and so should everyone else involved with the publication of The Jaguar. I’ve read several TJP books, and enjoyed them, but I won’t ever again read anything he writes! I’m done. I feel insulted and betrayed.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Jaguar.