Jennifer Lavoie's Reviews > Shine

Shine by Lauren Myracle

Mar 11, 12

bookshelves: abuse, classroom-library, family, friends, gay, lgbt, making-changes, mystery, older-teens
Read from March 09 to 11, 2012

Honestly I would not have even read this book had a student not asked to read it. I enjoy buying books that will interest my students, and since it's from her current favorite author, I picked it up. But because of the blurb, I decided to read it first. I'm glad I did for many reasons.

First of all the book is NOT appropriate for younger teens and preteens. The language is harsh but realistic, and the situations are mature. That said, older teens will enjoy it, though some might need to be warned about the language.

The book however is amazing. I was hooked from the newspaper article printed before the story even starts. Though the first chapter was a little slow for me because of the backstory it offers, I enjoyed it. I liked the many layers woven in. I did figure out what happened before the character, but there were times I wasn't sure. I had figured out Patrick's boyfriend early in the book, but again it was one of those "maybe I'm wrong" moments.

I liked the readers were kept guessing as to what exactly happened to Cat until later in the book. You figure it out a little, and can even pick up on who does it if you read the clues carefully enough, but the full details aren't revealed until Cat herself is ready to talk about it. I thought it was executed brilliantly.

This book is NOT for the faint of heart, but any mature teen should enjoy it. There is drug use, sexual abuse, language and a gay-bashing, but it portrays both positive and negative aspects of living in a small, religious community that has very little money.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shine.