Meg's Reviews > The Noticer: Sometimes, All a Person Needs Is a Little Perspective

The Noticer by Andy Andrews

Mar 22, 12

bookshelves: oslo-book-club
Recommended to Meg by: multiple "Best of 2011" book lists
Recommended for: Sad or unfulfilled people in need of some "perspective"
Read from March 19 to 21, 2012 — I own a copy

It was okay.

There were a few pieces of wisdom to be gleaned from the assorted stories in the novel, but somehow the book felt... proud? I don't know why, but upon reflection it just seems full of itself. Like the author was privy to some brilliant insight and was "graciously" offering it up to his readers.

And it's not all even his own insight! My feathers were especially ruffled by the entire chapter that was lifted straight from The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman. Sure, he mentioned Chapman and his book in his Acknowledgements, but I've read it. I don't need to spend a chapter of another book reading a distilled lightweight version, especially when it felt (until the end when thankfully he gave a modicum of credit) that the author was trying to pass off someone else's work as his own.

I think there is some valuable insight in this book, but the topics are covered so briefly (with a lot of build-up to set up the appropriate scenes and characters) that the book seems more like a collection of abstracts for other books. "Oh, this idea sounds interesting! Where can I read more?" Perhaps I should review the Acknowlegements more thoroughly to see if like The Five Love Languages there are other books that cover portions of the material in more detail.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Noticer.

03/19/2012 page 10
6.0% "Winter Book Challenge 2012: Author with the same first & last initial"

Nicole totally agree with this review - the chapter about the love languages really annoyed me. i think this book is maybe ok for people who font really read much.