Shelley's Reviews > Heaven to Betsy

Heaven to Betsy by Maud Hart Lovelace

Aug 03, 08

bookshelves: historical, youth, re-read, my-childhood, 1991, 2008
Read in April, 1991

I remember reading this for school, the assignment being to read any book we liked, find words we were unfamiliar with and look them up. Having read these books before, I had a pretty good idea of what everything meant, so I had to pick really unusual ones. As I read, I remembered picking pompadour, Gibson Girl and spoony. I can't remember if that last one was in the dictionary, but I really doubt it!

This book was thoroughly charming. I enjoy Betsy, Tacy and the Crowd and Mrs. Ray remains my favorite character (the brass bowl!). But setting the books every two years makes it hard to keep up with character development. Then poor Tib, who was a lead in three books, got a single line devoted to her leaving town. One line! I know it didn't happen in an even year age, but don't you think a lead character deserves more attention? Bonnie got more, and we barely knew her. (And, honestly, she's kind of smarmy and thinks very highly of herself. I didn't like her much.) That was annoying. And Tacy had a tendency to play second fiddle to Carney and Bonnie throughout, as well. Carney's fun and I love her book, but I want more Tacy! Tacy's even more awesome than I remembered.

(8-08)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heaven to Betsy.