Amanda's Reviews > The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor

The Walking Dead by Robert Kirkman

Mar 12, 2012

bookshelves: arc, horror, series, zombies, favorite-fiction
Read from March 09 to 11, 2012

The first in a prequel trilogy that relates how the baddest villain of The Walking Dead's zombie apocalypse came to be--not just how he came to rule Woodbury, but how he became an evil sociopath.

Wow. Just wow. I suppose I must attempt to put my love for this book into words.

First of all, it's important to know that this is sort of a prequel to The Walking Dead graphic novels. It's the origin story of The Governor (aka one of the most evil comic book villains ever). Only instead of sticking to his graphic novel format, Kirkman, with the assistance of Bonansinga, went with the written word.

Now, this is a zombie apocalypse horror novel about an evil man. It gets uncomfortable. Kirkman and Bonansinga bring us inside the minds of men warped by situations and psychiatric problems alike. It's not pretty. It makes you squirm. But it's supposed to. Furthermore, I can unequivocally say that although horrible things happen to the women in this book, they fight for themselves. It is therefore not misogynistic, but realistic. In the real world, bad things happen to women. Particularly in war zones.

Now one thing that probably a lot of people wonder is is the story predictable? We already know who The Governor is and that he keeps his zombie daughter as a pet. That would seem to remove the ability for the authors to surprise us at all. I am happy to say that in spite of knowing the end result, this story kept me on the edge of my seat. Some readers didn't like all of the surprises and twists. Personally, I feel that they brought the novel up a notch in both talent and enjoyability.

Overall, this is a wonderful addition to The Walking Dead canon. Fans of the graphic novel series will not be disappointed, although fans of the tv show seem to be taken aback by it. All I can say is that the books don't pull any punches and are not for the squeamish. If you don't want to be challenged, stick to tv. Everyone else should scoop this up as soon as possible.

Check out my full review. (Link will be live on March 13, 2012).

Note: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Walking Dead.