Marci's Reviews > A Monstrous Regiment of Women

Mar 08, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: adult-fiction
Read in March, 2012

Main character Mary Russell happens upon a women's temple headed by a charismatic leader, Margery Childe. It is evident throughout the book that Laurie R. King, the author, is a feminist and thus Mary Russell is as well. I like strong female protagonists, and this position was not a surprise to me. What thinking woman today wouldn't want every good thing for all women? What did surprise me was the religious philosophy discussed in this book. It really was fascinating to me. Mary, whose has just finished a degree in theology, teaches Margery some very interesting doctrine, i.e., that some of what has been taken out of the bible through the years is discussion of God the Mother. Laurie R. King did her graduate work in this area, so she knows a thing or two about theology and the feminine divine. When 4 members of the temple will money to Margery Childe and her cohorts and then find themselves neither breathing nor living, it's up to Mary--and yes, her true compatriot, Sherlock Holmes--to solve the case. This includes Mary being taken captive and Sherlock coming to her rescue. You may think this antithetical to the feminist cause; however, since Mary has saved his life so many times, it really is only fair he come to her rescue occasionally. I've vacillated between a 3 and 4 star rating. I didn't like this book as well as the first in the series--The Beekeeper's Apprentice--but there are parts of the book that delighted me to my toes.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Monstrous Regiment of Women.