Kris Irvin's Reviews > The Glass Harmonica

1940795
Mar 25, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Read on March 23, 2012

Semi-reread. I read this book for the first time when I was 12, because I was super into harmonicas. Note - the mouth harp is not the harmonica featured in this book. It is some sort of odd glass instrument.

Upon re-reading as an older, wise, more awesome version of me, here are my thoughts. I really hate the storyline with Erin and Charlie and Gene. Gene is weird and I don't like him, and Erin is a total whiny baby. I caught that even as a 12 year old, so it's pretty obvious. Their love is really forced and the ending is ridiculously rushed. There are some interesting ideas about "the future" but ... meh.

On the other hand I LOVE the storyline of Eilish. I thought it was fantastically well done and it's very compelling. I remember skipping the Erin parts as a kid and just reading Eilish's part. I love the history and the characters and the portrayal of Ben Franklin and that whole part. So yay.

A kind of obscure book about an obscure instrument. Overall, it's not one I would go out of my way to read again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Glass Harmonica.