Andrea's Reviews > The Expats

Mar 08, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: mystery-thriller
Read in March, 2012

This book was, unfortunately, mostly boring. I kept reading because I knew that something was going to happen eventually, but when it did it was not particularly exciting. Basically, you spend three-quarters of the book inside the head of the main character while she's wondering if anyone will figure out all the secrets. We jump back and forth in time, which is disorienting, and every time important information is about to be revealed, we switch back to a different time. We don't really get closer to the truth, we're just repeatedly primed for the very long reveal at the end. The writing was okay, but sometimes I felt that the description was there just for description's sake. I wasn't invested in any of the characters, nor did I find them at all likable. And where I come from, Americans call them "Legos," not "Lego." That may be proper in Danish, but the characters in this book weren't Danish. I know that's pretty nitpicky, but I just spent hours reading a book that was mostly a waste of my time. Sigh.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Expats.