Jess Michaelangelo's Reviews > Angels & Demons

Angels & Demons by Dan Brown

Dec 04, 13

bookshelves: series, favorites, fiction, library, mystery
Read in August, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 2

Wow.

Before I begin my review, I want to preface it by saying a few things.

I know a lot of people think Dan Brown is a crappy writer who writes crappy books about crappy stories with crappy characters and crappy, unbelievable plots.

I know a lot of people think Dan Brown is one of the best at the "cheese factor" and roll their eyes at his stories.

I know a lot of people out there know more about European history, etc. etc. than I do, and therefore, I might not be the appropriate judge of this story.

And I'm also aware that this is not the next literary classic.

HOWEVER.

I loved this book.

Every time the action picked up in this book, I had a serious adrenaline rush. My heart raced, my eyes frantically read line after line, and my hands automatically went to my mouth. I was totally engrossed in the story Dan Brown told, even though I had already seen the movie. Watching the movie before the book is very uncharacteristic of me, but I'm glad that it happened that way in this case. Reading the book cleared up a lot of unanswered questions for me, and the book was different enough from the movie to keep me gasping out loud at plot twists. For me, I was hooked along for the ride, and even though some might find his twists unbelievable or even predictable, I was just in it for the story and found myself completely absorbed. I appreciated the facts (or "facts") throughout the story that were presented to the reader about the Illuminati, Vatican City, etc. and I loved the feeling of being on the inside of solving a puzzle while racing against time. I appreciated Robert Langdon's character, and I'm so glad they cast Tom Hanks to play his character because even when I read The DaVinci Code years ago, Tom Hanks is always how I pictured Robert Langdon. Pretty damn intelligent, resourceful, and witty. Dan Brown can be pretty witty, too, and I found myself chuckling from time to time. I even enjoyed the general mechanics of this book--I liked the short chapters that kept me coming back for more. They made it easy to fly through the pages. I would look down maybe after a half hour or so into reading and be 150 pages further in the book. The "dun-dun-dunnn" moments at the end of pretty much each chapter had me flipping, too, even though I could understand how some might find that worthy of an eye-roll or two. My favorite part of the book, besides the adrenaline rushes, was how he bounced from one point of view to another without leaving the reader feeling disoriented. Rather, it had the opposite effect for me, clarifying everything by being able to watch the story unfold from all angles.

After reading The DaVinci Code a few years ago, I was a little hesitant to pick this one up...would I love Dan Brown as much (or more)? Or was The DaVinci Code a one-time deal? Well, I'm here to say that I can officially consider myself a fan of Dan Brown, however crappy others might want to declare him.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angels & Demons.

01/08/2010 page 52
9.14% "Even though I've already seen the movie, this book certainly has my attention!"
01/09/2010 page 100
17.57% "This is definitely a page-turner, and I'm enjoying this. I like that it takes time to explain what's happening (unlike the movie)."
01/10/2010 page 164
28.82% "I like that Brown switches perspectives. You get to see the story from all sides."
01/11/2010 page 184
32.34% "Ugh...didn't get as far in this as I wanted yesterday. Never fear, I'll make up for it today. This story has grabbed me along for the ride!"
01/12/2010 page 247
43.41% "I love how action-packed this is, while still including cool historical stuff. I'm enjoying this a lot more than the movie."
01/12/2010 page 300
52.72% "I love how I get so absorbed in this that I don't even notice the pages flying by. Dan Brown is pretty witty, too!"
01/13/2010 page 404
71.0% "Can you say adrenaline rush?!"
07/23/2011 page 113
20.0% "Re-reading this one now. I love how I get so caught up in this!"
07/26/2011 page 362
64.0% "Read a HUGE chunk of this today since I couldn't put it down!"
08/01/2011 page 460
81.0% "As if this weren't already hard enough to put down, these last 100 or so pages are going to be impossible to leave!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Logan I liked it too. I also liked "The DaVinci Code". They were hella entertaining and fairly original for that genre. For me, the entertainment value supersedes all the crappy aspects.

Jess Michaelangelo I absolutely agree. The fact that I had my face glued to a book for hours on end is enough for me to say it was a good book.

JG (The Introverted Reader) I hate that we feel like we have to apologize for liking him. I'll roll my eyes occasionally at his heavy-handed foreshadowing, but the man makes me tear through pages to find out what happens next. I just finished a "Literary" Grail book, and it did not hold my attention a tenth as well as Brown does.

Jess Michaelangelo YES. I agree 100%. I hate when I feel like I have to defend myself when I enjoyed a book. Everyone needs a little "fluff" from time to time, and honestly, as far as I'm concerned, if it gets people to read, isn't that what is important?

Erin I agree with the "eye-rolling" comment. I mean, Dickens did the same darn thing.

Jane Story I haven't finished the book yet, but I agree with your review. Everyone seems to hate this book for various reasons, but I think it's a really fun read so I'm going to enjoy it regardless.

Meher Piplani I totally agree with you. You put your comment in a nice way. I dont think that this is one of Mr. Browns best books but its still a page turner.

Sophie Pearson I agree aswell! I'm not done with the book either, but I can't stop reading it...I read every chance I get. All these bad reviews dissapoint me!

Akshaz I agree. I loved the book and just couldn't put it down!

message 10: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma I heard nothing but good things about Dan Brown, granted many people said it was 'cheesy' in parts but many books are, not sure about you but I love knowing things are going to end up ok! haha! It was a real page-turner, couldn't put it down and loved the Da Vinci code just as much! :)

Dorothy Nice honest review. Loved the book too despite what others may say.

Harry True! I've read so many reviews, bad ones, about how crappy of an author he is but honestly, I enjoyed Angels & Demons and The Lost Symbol. Well, I don't know! Maybe I'm just that crappy in History or whatever that I'm not irritated when he uses facts (objects, organizations, ideas, etc.) but alter them somehow. It fits! I don't know if he did alter them or not but it's exciting! Thrilling! But I also keep in mind not to use his books as reference to arts or history or such. It's a fiction. I'm not that stupid, really. And. It. Doesn't. Bother. Me. That. Much. When. He. Writes. Like. This. I noticed them alright! But like what I said, it doesn't bother me much. Lol

Danny Who cares if its cheesy. It kept me entertained for few days that's what books are for!

message 14: by Gary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gary Harper People can bad mouth Dan Brown all they want, but he's the one laughing all the way to the bank. Besides, clearly a lot more peopled liked it than those who didn't since they managed to drum up enough interest for a film series.

message 15: by Skip (new)

Skip His English is weak. Poor writer. I got about a fifth of the way through it and threw it. I have no patience with this low level of writing.

message 16: by Mohmed (new) - added it

Mohmed how can i download to my PC

Chris Marie I think it was a wonderful book.

Bidhan Bajgain I had so deep interest in antimatter and this book discussed it. It's a nice piece of art .

message 19: by Richard (new)

Richard Power Great review Jess!

Oluwatosin whether u are believing or not, the guy is very good in getting people along, do u know what it takes in reading while walking on the road? it is called Dan Brown principle

Jeanette I totally agree. I've read a few so called classics and thought they were crappy! I enjoy Dan Brown's novels, ok digital fortress was very longwinded and yes boring but the Robert Langdon series is fab. long live cheesiness and fluff if it saves the world from having to read madam Bovary, crappiness in its purest form!

Iván Great review!

message 23: by Kajal (new) - added it

Kajal I agree! Its not fair to feel like we shouldn't like a book. For me this was as good as it gets. I loved it, i tore through the book with super speed and i went to bed satisfied. I think that is what reading is about.