judy's Reviews > Boomerang: Travels in the New Third World

Boomerang by Michael Lewis

Mar 08, 2012

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in March, 2012

Michael Lewis on the ongoing financial crisis is my favorite reading. I'd even give up my beloved mysteries for him. This one doesn't have the depth and complexity of the Big Short but, for me, it has something of equal importance. Rather than being peopled by ruthless, greedy bankers, the cast of characters comes from those economically desperate countries--Iceland, Greece, Ireland and the one country that holds the cards, Germany. In each case he chooses to show us how the culture of each country has led to the the position it's in. The fascinating thing is that these countries aren't very similar to us--except for that one universal trait--the ostrich effect. When things are chugging along, its tantamount to treason to suggest that a bubble exists. Governments,bankers, investors and ordinary citizens won't listen until it's too late. I think that may be an immutable characteristic of civilization. Lewis always amazes me with what I don't know. I keep wanting to make the time to read his books again. If you're looking for solutions--don't read him. But, if you want to be astounded and amazed at the range of human stupidity, greed, gullibility and, because of the totality, laugh at our kind--read on. Lord, what fools these mortals be!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boomerang.

05/24 marked as: read