Awfki's Reviews > The Magicians

The Magicians by Lev Grossman

U_50x66
Mar 08, 12

Read in February, 2012

2012-02-14: Somewhere in Book III and I'm really kind of slogging through. There have been good parts but since Q graduated and turned into a whiny alcoholic asshole it's been tough to stay interested.

2012-02-15: Finished late last night as I couldn't sleep. The beginning was good, there was hope in the beginning. Then they left Brakebills and alcohol whining became the main themes. There were also too many places where someone suddenly develops a new skill or unexpected strength just in time to defeat the current obstacle.

Another issue for me was that the first half of the book, while enjoyable, didn't feel like it was going anywhere. The story just meandered along, until it fell of a cliff, and then up pops Penny with the buttons. WTF?

I guess my central objection is that this book is more in the vein of Thomas Covenant. The protagonist is an anti-hero and I wasn't prepped for that going in so he didn't meet my expectations. I kept expecting Q to get his shit together and he kept drinking and whining.

And really, why Julia back on the last page?

Oh, she has a role in book 2. Lame.

2012-02-18: This book bugged me for another day or two after I finished. Quentin was such a lame shit head.

I should mention that I enjoyed the earlier parts of the book. Parts one and two held out some hope that Q would get his shit together. Sadly, he went the opposite direction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magicians.