Cassi aka Snow White Haggard's Reviews > The Profitable Hobby Farm, How to Build a Sustainable Local Foods Business

The Profitable Hobby Farm, How to Build a Sustainable Local F... by Sarah Aubrey

Mar 25, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012, nonfiction, garden
Read from March 08 to 25, 2012

This falls into the category of "really random things I read" but actually I liked it. Sometimes I'm tempted by the farm lifestyle. After reading the book I am still tempted to move that direction someday but for now I haven't found a niche that is calling to me. (Well I really like my backyard tea but I've never dried it so I don't even know if it's good that way).

It's interesting to think about your food and where it comes from. I enjoy the local foods. Unfortunately I work most Saturdays and the few I have off I rarely wake up in time for the Farmer's Market. But there's something that's so natural and healthy about growing at least some of your own food.

This book profiled a couple of "Kentucky Proud" products. I've bought quite a few Kentucky Proud items and have never been dissatisfied.

I think some of the lessons about marketing and customer retention could translate into almost any profession.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Profitable Hobby Farm, How to Build a Sustainable Local Foods Business.

03/08/2012 page 86
31.0% "I don't really even plan to start a farming business but this book is fascinating. Small farm business is more complicated than I thought. (Though I'll admit that I have dreams of someday living somewhere in the country where I can grow most of my food. Never going to happy but its such a sunny dream)"
03/22/2012 page 113
41.0% "I have no idea why I find agricultural stuff so interesting."
03/25/2012 page 201
73.0% "I think the retaining customers information can be applied to lots of different jobs (and not just businesses selling stuff)"
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider The way my garden produces, I'd be happy if it just sustained me...we keep getting weird temps and I'd be in real trouble if I had to SELL produce...

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard My garden doesn't sustain me either. Someday! But a girl can dream right?

Quarter Acre Farm is an interesting book about trying to eat what you grow.

I have a feeling if I went into a farming type business it wouldn't be straight-up produce.

message 3: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider Cassi aka Snow White wrote: "My garden doesn't sustain me either. Someday! But a girl can dream right?

Quarter Acre Farm is an interesting book about trying to eat what you grow.

I have a feeling if I went into a farming ty..."

I get quite a bit out of my garden, but yeah, it's still really a dream. And I'd like chickens too, but unfortunately so would our cats...

:>)

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard I told my parents I was curious about chickens. You should have seen the looks on their faces.

As far as livestock, I'm really charmed by the idea of having goats. I love goats milk soap.

message 5: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider I do my own melt and pour soap. Goats milk isn't my favorite--I like the glycerin soaps better.

We have had goats. They are okay. But if you hang your laundry, you have to gate them out. They really will eat clothes right off the line. They climb trees too in order to get to the fresh leaves.

Chickens are...well, they can be rather smelly creatures. BUT they produce eggs. Which is a very nice side benefit!!!

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard I find goats amusing. I'm not sure why but when I'm having a bad day I often google "baby goats" to make it a better day. I've had soap making kits but I've never really gone into making real soap. I use goats milk soap and have found that it's better for body acne than dial or even neutrogena (probably should not admit my skin scare issues on the internet but oh well).

Now I have a mental image of a goat in a tree and it's making me giggle. I've never raised any animals (aside from stray dogs).

As far as chickens, it seems you could have a couple of them and that's all you would really need. If you lived on a farm in the country it shouldn't be too hard to keep the smell downwind. (My babysitter growing up had chickens. I spent many days chasing them)

message 7: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider Cassi aka Snow White wrote: "I find goats amusing. I'm not sure why but when I'm having a bad day I often google "baby goats" to make it a better day. I've had soap making kits but I've never really gone into making real soa..."
Yeah, two or four should be a good number. You only need the hens for eggs. Roosters, which can be aggressive, not required.

Yes, Goats milk is very good for your skin and I'd say either that or glycerin is better than just about anything else you can buy.

Goats are cute and funny. I'm guessing you could fins some pix on the internet of them climbing trees, especially if you add Texas. Texas has these live oaks that grow at angles--for easier goat climbing!

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard I've met a rooster before (on my babysitters farm) I can't remember the details but I remember deciding never to play with one again.

SQUEEE. Now that's even more charming!

message 9: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider Yup, them be goats in trees!

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard That is so amazing! OMGoats