Pricky's Reviews > A Need So Beautiful

A Need So Beautiful by Suzanne Young

Mar 08, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: angels, book-candy, content-advisory, could-ve-been-but-wasn-t, read-in-2012, reviewed, romance
Read on March 08, 2012

Oh. Boy. Where do I begin?

First, the angel concept was pretty unique and interesting: an angel who is compelled to help another person and is forgotten by that person as if she was just a whisper of thought to the other person's psyche. Pretty interesting premise, but, well, that's pretty much where it ended for me.

The idea that she will (view spoiler) I couldn't wrap my head around that conclusion.

Don't even get me started on the characters:

I couldn't connect with any of them at all.

First there's the angel Charlotte who is constantly bossed by her supposedly BFF and who's infatuation with Harlin overwhelms the whole story.

Then there's the BFF, Sarah, who is so completely selfish and treats Charlotte as a maid. Why does Charlotte continually put up with this behavior? What's the benefit to her; that she has a person to "hang out" with because I would not want Sarah as a Best Friend.

Next comes Harlin, the hot boyfriend: who is either 1) making out or having sex with Charlotte 2) talking about making out with Charlotte or 3) upset with Charlotte for keeping secrets (that often times don't allow for #1 or 2). Apparently, they really just need each other for sex because I don't really see why they are together otherwise. And the whole whiny complaint from Charlotte about why she can't tell Harlin she's an angel was just pathetic. Charlotte: He's your BOYFRIEND and you need to be HONEST with him.

And I can't forget to mention Monroe, the clinic doctor friend, turned Seer/guide for the "Forgotten" (aka Angels): who kept so many secrets because...why? When Charlotte comes to him with questions, he talks so cryptically or was tongue-tied and I didn't understand the reason he had to keep secrets about HER from HER. Arghh!!!!

Which naturally leads to the other annoying thread in the story: SECRETS. I'm so tired of reading about SECRETS and people keeping SECRETS and lying about their SECRETS. I just wish authors could figure out a way to tell a story without falling back on the whole: "I'm a mysterious powerful person who must keep it a secret from the world...." Really?! I don't mind SECRETS but just find another reason.

Overall, a quick read (thankfully) and...only because half the time, Charlotte and Harlin were making out...

This book should have been named: A Secret so wrong or a Kiss so obsessed.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Need So Beautiful.

message 1: by Lis (new)

Lis I have to admit, your alternate titles made me laugh pretty dang hard. x

Pricky HopelessWanderer wrote: "I have to admit, your alternate titles made me laugh pretty dang hard. x"

HAHAHAHA. Thanks! :) Sometimes I wonder if the "Title" department of publishing companies realize that so many of their titles can end up with so many bad alternate endings. ;D