K's Reviews > The Survival Kit

The Survival Kit by Donna Freitas

Mar 08, 12

bookshelves: library

As good as all the reviews claim.

Rose’s mother died on June fourth. After the funeral she discovers one of her mother’s infamous Survival Kits made especially for her. Her mom was a preschool teacher and dealt with sad parents at the start of every school year. The kits were a family project every August so that all of her new parents would have something to help them let go of their little ones. Rose discovers a hodgepodge of items in her bag and sets out to accomplish what her mother intended, whatever it is, however long it takes. She quit cheerleading, never sets foot in the football stadium and so never sees her boyfriend’s games, and has stopped talking to a lot of her friends. Life after her mother’s death is a lot emptier so she has the time. That is, when she’s not taking care of her devastated and usually drunk father.

The book takes its time with Rose. The way months passed and her grieving progressed felt genuine. She hit mini milestones and experienced setbacks. What happened with her father was devastating and incredibly frustrating at the same time. I loved the relationship she had with best friend Krupa (although I usually prefer for The Friend in books to be more three dimensional than their label). I appreciated the character of both Will and Chris. I cared about these people and was sad, but the book was always hopeful and moving forward. It was cathartic and reassuring. Glad I read it.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Survival Kit.