June's Reviews > Caps for Sale: A Tale of a Peddler, Some Monkeys and Their Monkey Business

Caps for Sale by Esphyr Slobodkina

F 50x66
Jul 12, 2016

bookshelves: monkeys, programbook, picture-book, hats, storytime
Recommended for: Hat, monkey and classics requests
Read in July, 2016 , read count: ?

This story really resonates with children. As an adult, I prefer The Hatseller And The Monkeys. Monkeys appearing randomly in the countryside seems a little inexplicable to me, but I realize that is just an adult fetish or perspective. It is probably more of a 4 and a half, with older children you can act it out afterwards, though with older children I now usually us the Hatseller and the Monkeys. I use it both for a March Hats program and a summer Monkey program. 3/7/12

Maybe a little long for the 2 year old and a little simple for the 5 year old, but they all enjoyed the 5 little Monkeys jumping on the bed, and most enjoyed the action rhyme 5 little monkeys sitting in a tree.3/5/13

This really worked well with my story time, which is mostly 2's, with a few 3's. 3/13/13

Used again for my monkey story time, after Monkey See, Monkey Do action rhyme and it was as big a hit as ever. 7/31/13

A hit again in my hat program. 3/18/14

Read at Read Aloud after using 5 Little Monkeys CD w/mitt. 3/22/14

Ended PJ Story Time with this and 5 Little Monkeys off the Literacy in Motion CD. 3/9/15

Used in Story Time with the song and the 5 Little Monkeys Sitting in a Tree finger play. 3/10/15

Used again, remembered the song/cd, forgot the FB/FP. 3/16

Used as last book in story time and was enough to hold their attention when we got to the acting out part - even though this copy had been drawn in :(
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Caps for Sale.