the golden witch.'s Reviews > Tomorrow Land

Tomorrow Land by Mari Mancusi

Mar 30, 12

it was ok
bookshelves: 2012, arc-galley, ebook, net-galley, dystopia, post-end-of-the-world, teenage-shennanigans, dnf, reviewed, zombies
Read from March 08 to 29, 2012

1.5/5 stars.

I was really disappointed with this one, guys. I was hoping that it would take an innovate approach to the end of the world and romance, but alas, it’s like so many other YA dystopian romance books/dystopian chick lit. Mancusi could have done so much more than what she actually did do with this basic idea of finding one’s true love after the apocalypse has actually happened – and she didn’t. I wish I could recommend this one, guys, but I can’t.

Very technologically advanced society? Check.

Everything goes to hell in a handbasket (fairly) quickly? Check.

Apocalypse or dystopian society or both? Check.

Boy and girl running away/trying to run away with each other to rub it in the face of said society? Check.

Romance? Check.

“True Love”? Check.

It’s almost as if Mancusi was using a checklist here when it comes to what I now call dystopian chick-lit in the YA genre. The first chapters were very slow moving and it was hard to not keep my mind from wandering elsewhere, and I just remembering sighing a whole lot. There were a lot of jokes about “oldies” and talk about the old-fashioned internet, but I felt the world constructed within the first few chapters didn’t feel very stable or original. Virtual reality? Also check. It felt like a lot of older sci-fi tropes all thrown together to try to create a world where an apocalypse felt more likely than not, and I just couldn’t get into it no matter how hard I tried.

I couldn’t finish this one – I’ll openly admit that. I got to page 90 and finally threw up my hands. The pace was far too slow, any arc executions that were there were very muddled and hard to determined and, quite frankly, it badly, badly, badly needed another draft and copy edit because there were mistakes everywhere (even for an ARC).

And then there’s the boy meets girl and then the apocalypse part happens – I’m sorry, that storyline just can’t cut it anymore. Dystopia has flooded the market so much that you really need to do something special to stand out, and Mancusi just didn’t do it this time. I liked her earlier work (“Gamer Girl” was awesome and I really enjoyed it) so I was hoping for something far more than I got. To say I was disappointed was an understatement.

So, guys, I’d skip this one. Read a really awesome YA dystopian book like “Divergent”, “Masque of the Red Death”, “The Hunger Games”, “Legend”, “Matched”, or “Across the Universe” instead. Don’t waste your time here. I wish I could get the few hours I did spend in this sad little world back.

(posted to goodreads, shelfari, and birthofanewwitch.wordpress.com)
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tomorrow Land.

03/28/2012 page 31
11.03% "Interesting so far, however don't know if I'll finish it."

Jana (That Artsy Reader Girl) Just wondering why you gave it 2 stars if you didn't finish it? Seriously, I'm not being a brat. Haha. I'm just always curious how to rate a DNF, or if I just shouldn't rate it at all, you know?

the golden witch. More like 1.5 stars tbh

message 3: by Wendy Darling (new)

Wendy Darling I read one of the author's other books, the first one in her most popular series--I wasn't a huge fan of the writing style.

the golden witch. Her style is easy to read with "Gamer Girl", and it's a standalone (gasp, a rare find in the YA wild!), but still. I was just really kind of pissed off and felt like I wasted my time - which I don't have much when it comes to spare.