Chrissy's Reviews > Lucky Peach Issue 3

Lucky Peach Issue 3 by David Chang

Apr 30, 12

bookshelves: food, mcsweeney-s
Read from March 12 to 22, 2012 — I own a copy

Not being a chef, aspiring chef, or line cook, I had little to connect with in this issue of McSweeney's otherwise extraordinary food magazine; the appreciation of good food is more relevant to me than the appreciation of working your way up the restaurant ladder the hard way, the revelry in name-dropping, or the reminiscence of late nights with world-renowned chefs whose name and work I am personally unfamiliar with, being a cognitive scientist in the middle of Canada. There was too little of the former in this issue, and I'll be frank in saying that certain pieces had the ring of in group back-patting, and more pretension than most other McSweeney's material I've read-- though I appreciate that those in the restaurant industry would connect with the sentiments contained within.

The bafflingly off-topic postmodern essay on the decline of Austrian art and politics was most difficult to stomach, in terms of both style and content. It didn't actually seem to have much to say about cooking, apart from painfully banal analogies to the decline of cooking decried (with more heart and honesty) by Chang in the article preceding it. It struck me as a lazy and self-congratulatory inclusion.

Likewise, the series of interviews with various cooks from all walks of life was a disappointment. I'd come to expect more from Lucky Peach than the same stock, facile interview questions put to 6 different people; more personal and involved questions would have served the segment immensely.

Some highlights for me were the recipes (of course) and Karen Liebowitz's piece on the psychology of "personal" cooking (of course).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lucky Peach Issue 3.

03/18/2012 page 52