Texbritreader's Reviews > The Moor's Last Sigh

The Moor's Last Sigh by Salman Rushdie

Apr 08, 12

bookshelves: literary-fiction, novel, indian
Read from March 08 to April 08, 2012

Rushdie offers a richly detailed family saga, full of passion and genius as well as secrets, lies and betrayals. Told by the multidimensional Moor of the title, Moraes Zogoiby, the tale begins with his grandparents generation and ends with the Moor's own demise. But between those two points Rushdie, in impeccable form, creates a fantastical exploration of Indian history, presents complex arguments about and descriptions of art, and questions the place and meaning of various religious affiliations on societies as a whole.

The plot is a dazzling mechanism which plays like a modern fairy tale, while simultaneously developing many layers of subtext that enrich the reading experience immeasurably. The story is so clever and thought provoking I won't reveal it and rob others of the joy of discovering it themselves.

I must admit there were a few overly ornate passages and the character of the art restorer, so crucial to the denouement, was woefully underdeveloped (which the author oddly writes into the narrative) adding to the hurried feel of the ending but overall these are fairly small criticisms.

This was Rushdie's first novel after the fatwa was placed on him by Iran's Grand Ayatollah
Ruhollah Khomeini following the publication of The Satanic Verses; obviously he was able to use this terrible trial to great artistic ends. I certainly felt this was the best Rushdie novel I have yet read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Moor's Last Sigh.