Rachel Hancock's Reviews > Sideways Arithmetic from Wayside School

Sideways Arithmetic from Wayside School by Louis Sachar

Mar 08, 12

bookshelves: popular-series
Read in March, 2012

"Sideways Arithmetic from Wayside School" is part of Louis Sachar's famous and ever-popular series, "Sideways Stories from Wayside School." In this book, Louis Sachar takes readers inside a bizarre math class at Wayside School. The book includes wacky arithmetics and absurd problems for students to try to work out.

As much as I enjoy Louis Sachar's writing, I did not love this book. I feel like it would be beneficial for older readers (perhaps 3rd and 4th grade), however, I think it would likely cause younger readers to become very frustrated. The book is fun and definitely makes readers think differently than they are used to. I like this book, however, I must say that my very favorite of all of Louis Sachar's writing is his book, "Holes."

While I did not love this book, I still enjoyed it and find value in sharing it with older readers. Louis Sachar is a fun and quirky writer and in this book, he helps readers think differently and uses the Wayside School to facilitate all the wacky algebra and problems he asks readers to try to solve.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sideways Arithmetic from Wayside School.