Susan Ashcraft's Reviews > Once Upon A Gypsy Moon: An Improbable Voyage and One Man's Yearning for Redemption

Once Upon A Gypsy Moon by Michael  Hurley

Mar 08, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: firstread, first, biographies, non-fiction
Read from April 17 to 27, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 1

A ship's wake tells you where she has been, not where she's going.

Welcome aboard the Gypsy Moon, a 32 foot sloop, aging gracefully and with a lot of life left in her sails. Reeling from the end of his marriage and the loss of his job as a trial attorney, the author, Michael C. Hurley, sets off alone to sail from Annapolis, Maryland to Nassau. This journal of a solitary sea voyage is based on six letters that Michael sent out to friends while on his journey.

Michael's love affair with the water and with sailing began as a child. Growing up, he learned to sail on Magothy River. His older brother would take him out on board boats he had borrowed, rented and, at times, owned. Later on, in his 20's, Michael owned a sloop called Itledoo, a 17-foot sloop. He dreamed of sailing to the South Seas, as many weekend sailors do. In 1986, he had the idea of deferring student loan payments and sailing away with his wife. However, the decision was made to stay ashore, work and raise a family. In the mid-90's he introduced his children to sailing. By fall of 2006, his marriage was over. Within a year after his divorce was finalized, Micheal was also out a job.

Sail along with Michael as he journeys forth on a voyage few of us will ever take. From a storm encountered on his second day into his journey to finally saying an unhappy good bye to the Gypsy Moon when her engine quit and left him afloat 300 miles from the nearest port able to do repairs, the journey is a true story of the sea.

This is not just a story about a one-man ocean voyage. It is also a love affair, a story of new beginnings and inevitable endings and mostly a story of hope.

I won my copy of Once Upon A Gypsy Moon on GoodReads. My review was unsolicited.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once Upon A Gypsy Moon.