Sahana D's Reviews > The Thing About the Truth

The Thing About the Truth by Lauren Barnholdt

Aug 25, 12

bookshelves: skimmed-to-finish

Ugh. I don't know why I keep doing this to myself. Its not like I've ever liked a Lauren Barnholdt book *sigh*. She hooks me every single time with a cute little synopsis that promises to be a frigging fun light read. Only I keep on forgetting that it's also important that the author possesses at least a SMIDGEN OF TALENT. Woah. That sounded angry. I'm not angry. I'm more amused. Why? Because this book was an unintentional lollercoaster.

I mean, the guy’s like a big red flag. A red flag with arms and legs and killer abs. In fact, they should call him Red Flag Guy. - Kelsey

You could probably find a hundred quotes like this. Don't look at me for them, I'm not going to do it for you. There are better uses for my time (and probably your's too).

As amusing as this book was was, I can only tolerate so much shit. Halfway in I just wanted to skip to the resolution to end this quiet torture. EXCEPT Lauren didn't make that easy for us:

1. The Thing About the Truth was also one of those who-done-it books where you don't know the ACTUAL ISSUE they are arguing about until the very end.

2. This book followed no distinguishable pattern, randomly switching between past and present and male and female POVs. Sometimes the Kelsey would get back to back to back chapters from past to present to present. Then we'd get one from Isaac in the past then a couple more from Kelsey then a few from Isaac in the past.

So after a few minutes of angry and loud flipping I found the resolution and the problem. I was not surprised at it, nor was I surprised that I was not surprised at it. Ya follow? I had no expectations and that expectation was met. This is not the angriest review I have ever written, but it was definitely one of the the meanest. This book couldn't even spark up anger or frustration or any kind of emotion for that matter. That's sad man.

Do i recommend this? HELL NO. Did you even read my review???

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thing About the Truth.