Kate's Reviews > The Scorpio Races

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

Apr 17, 2012

bookshelves: 2format-audiobook, 1age-junior-high, 1age-middle-school, supernatural, 1age-senior-high
Read from March 08 to 18, 2012

Every November the water horses rise from the waves to run along the shore of a small English island. Every November, the bravest and most daring attempt to capture and tame the capaill uisce. Every November, they ride in the Scorpio Races to win money and honor. Every November the beaches are painted red with their blood.

Sean Kendrick's life has been dictated by the coming November races every since he can remember. He father was a champion of the Scorpio Races until he was killed by his capaill uisce. Now Sean has taken up the family tradition and is a winner in his own right, with a calming influence on the deadly water horses.

Puck Connolly and her brothers are still reeling from the unexpected loss of their parents at the hoof and teeth of the water horses, when they find that their house is going to be repossessed. In an act of desperation Puck volunteers to ride in the races in an attempt to save her family and their home. She is the first woman to ever ride in the races, and it is obvious that she is not wanted on the beach.

I wasn't so sure about this when I picked it up. I had lots of people telling me it was great, and lots telling me it was crazy (rabid water horses is the phrase that comes to mind). But I ended up loving it! Stiefvater has just enough action, character development and myth to make a truly great book! It isn't very fantasy/supernatural for those who are worried about it. I loved the audiobook, two wonderful readers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scorpio Races.