Shannon's Reviews > Breaking Point

May 11, 2013

liked it
bookshelves: 2013
Read from April 15 to May 12, 2013 , read count: 1

I enjoyed this book, but it wasn’t as good as ‘Article 5’. I’m not sure if it’s because I read this book over an extended period of time, but I felt like it wasn’t all that exciting. The first book was action-packed and Chase and Ember were always on the move. The characters were always on the move in this one, but it was a bit boring. They’d go on a risky mission. People would get separated. Someone might die. Then, they’d all be reunited and a similar cycle would start again. Towards the end, it just got pretty repetitive. It kind of seemed like there was a checklist of events that had to happen before the book ended and the author was just ticking them off. That said, the one thing I have to give the author props for is not pulling punches. It’s terrible to watch the characters go through horrible circumstance after horrible circumstance, but it’s refreshing to read a book that doesn’t have everything always go according to plan.

In the first book, I constantly wanted to punch Ember in the face. Surprisingly, I actually didn’t hate her so much this time around. There were still moments where I thought she was over-emotionally and impulsive, but there were other scenes involving resistance members where it seemed like Ember was the only one who left with any common sense. I wasn’t as in love with Chase like I was before. The biggest reason probably being that Ember and Chase’s relationship was very awkward. There was a lot of tension between them and not the good kind. I was happy when things started getting better for them, but the kissing scenes were random and written really oddly.

I’ll read the next book just to find out where the plot is going. I assume that the third book will deal with (view spoiler). There was no real cliffhanger and other than that, I’m not that sure what exactly will happen.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breaking Point.

05/11/2013 page 347