The_Book_Queen's Reviews > Illusions

1954982
Apr 03, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012, e-book, romance, contemporary, paranormal, own
Read from March 08 to 12, 2012

The review that follows is a partial review. To view the full text, please visit:
~*~*~*~
Isabella Knowles has more or less followed into the family business of putting away the scum bags of the city. She's tough and believes that she can be Superwoman, defending the innocent all by herself. She doesn't believe in love—or at least doesn't want to ever be in love. To her, love means pain and loneliness should something happen to dissolve a HEA. And as a cop, she's not guaranteed a HEA. So all her relationships are purely for one thing—to scratch an itch. No strings attached, no deep emotions, nothing. Should be every guy's dream woman, right?

Not for Brady Jacobs, fellow P.I.. Oh, sure, at first the thought of friends with benefits was the best news he'd ever had. But now... well, his heart has become involved, and not only does Isabella not want emotional ties, but what man wants to admit to having them? The sex is great—spectacular even—but he finds himself wanting more from their relationship.

When a murder/rape case comes up, and a character close to both of them becomes involved, Brady tries to protect Isabella. But in the end, will his lies lead to her never forgiving him? Or even worse, will it lead to his own death—before he can tell her how he feels?

I liked Illusions, it was a pretty good (and steamy) novella. But it had a few flaws that kept it from reaching book perfection.

First, it seemed like a lot of details were missing—I'd come across something in the book and had no idea where it came from. It made for a bit of a rough story, one that could have been smoothed off a bit more to make it an easier journey.

Although Brady and Isabella both seemed like nice enough characters, I didn't get much from them, especially Brady. In fact, other than his visions, I can't tell you one thing about him, his personality, or any quirks he had. Isabella was much the same, a bit too flat for a main character. I need more than what I got to fall in love with a character.

I also wanted to hear more about the paranormal element to the book. In fact, it was so minute, I pretty much wrote it off. Brady's visions are mentioned only a few times, briefly, and not in great detail. For all intensive purposes, this was basically a straight contemporary—and again, I was left wanting more.

The sex was definitely there, and quiet steamy, but even great sex isn't enough by itself to make a book a top pick.

....

~*~*~*~
This review is property of The_Book_Queen (TBQ's Book Palace)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Illusions.